Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
.17 inches vs .71, the rMBP is .54 inches thinner an engineering feat to be sure, but I wouldn't quantify it as much thinner. The weight is 2.03 lbs vs. 3.48. Again not that much difference imo.

That's a huge difference.

----------

I think it comes down having an OS X machine with a retina display in the smallest physical package.

Pretty much.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That's a huge difference.

----------

Pretty much.

Exactly. The new Macbook is more like a slightly larger iPad 3. The 11" Air is already considerably smaller than a 13" rMBP, and the new MacBook is even smaller and lighter than the Air.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Yes you are getting a better screen, no doubt but you are paying more money for a slower computer

So? There are other factors besides CPU speed. People pay more money for slower computers in all kinds of situations. Would you say of laptops vs desktops, "sure you can carry a laptop with you, but you're still paying more money for a slower computer."?

.17 inches vs .71, the rMBP is .54 inches thinner an engineering feat to be sure, but I wouldn't quantify it as much thinner. The weight is 2.03 lbs vs. 3.48. Again not that much difference imo.

This is pure insanity. 2 lbs is not much less than 3.5 lbs? It's 43% lighter. You could almost carry two MacBooks at the weight of one Pro. The Air is half a pound lighter than the 13" Pro, and it's quite noticeable. The difference between the MB and the Pro is *three times greater* than the difference between the Air and the Pro. It's a HUGE difference.

I guess I don't get that logic. The rMBP is a half inch thicker and 1.45 lbs heavier. For 1,500 dollars you can get a laptop with a retina screen, a much faster CPU and GPU.

The MacBook is $300 cheaper than the 13" Pro with the same storage and RAM.

Now let me say this, people have complained about the 13" rMBP's performance because the GPU is pushing the retina screen is under-powered. Given the lower end GPU, how usable will the rMB be?

The issues with the Pro are in my experience a) overblown (I have a 13" Pro that I'm typing this on, it's not *that* bad-- at least for me); and b) it's not a hardware issue, it's a software implementation issue. I don't believe it's because the GPU is underpowered. The iPad GPU draws a high-res retina screen just fine. The Iris HD chips in the MacBook Pro should easily be able to handle it. It also wasn't a problem on Mavericks, it started with Yosemite. So it has nothing to do with the GPU being too slow.

destine2grow

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I would like to know if the 1.2/512 would be great for surfing the web/email/and playing sims 4? I am looking at this model because the 1.3/256 is slight cheaper but I prefer to have more storage because I don't plan on upgrading for a few years.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I would like to know if the 1.2/512 would be great for surfing the web/email/and playing sims 4? I am looking at this model because the 1.3/256 is slight cheaper but I prefer to have more storage because I don't plan on upgrading for a few years.
Fine for web / email. I wouldn't plan on gaming on this machine. At all.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Ya, gotta agree with the above. Is is likely gonna be a solid work machine for iWork/Office types of applications, as well as standard Home uses like email, web browsing, basic photo&video editing, etc...

For more graphically intensive uses, including any kind of gaming, high end video editing, CAD, etc... this likely isn't the machine you want to look at.

It sounds like the MacBook Air may be a better fit for you, if games are an important part of your regular routine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.