Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
1. Shock proof
2. Water proof
3. Wireless charging
4. Additional battery
5. Additional storage
6. Place for credit card
7. What else?

Is there any case that fulfills even 3 features?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Certainly two features--there are various wallet cases which have drop protection (and obviously card storage), such as the Tech21 Shell Wallet, the Griffin Identity Wallet, and the UAG Folio case--but I don't know about three...

Kristin

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Certainly two features--there are various wallet cases which have drop protection (and obviously card storage), such as the Tech21 Shell Wallet, the Griffin Identity Wallet, and the UAG Folio case--but I don't know about three...

Kristin

I wouldn't class the Tech 21 and UAG cases you mentioned as 'wallet' cases as they only 1 card!! Not much of a wallet if it can ONLY hold 1 card...!!!!

I've backed this one on Kickstarter:

Bullet Train Safe Wallet case

Its the swiss army knife of 'wallet' cases - 5+ cards, pen, space for small items, cash, AND, is smaller in size than ALL 3 cases you mentioned above!

;)

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
The Griffin Identity Wallet holds 3 cards...but I see your point :) The Bullet Train Safe Wallet does look pretty neat!

Kristin

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I wouldn't class the Tech 21 and UAG cases you mentioned as 'wallet' cases as they only 1 card!! Not much of a wallet if it can ONLY hold 1 card...!!!!

I've backed this one on Kickstarter:

Bullet Train Safe Wallet case

Its the swiss army knife of 'wallet' cases - 5+ cards, pen, space for small items, cash, AND, is smaller in size than ALL 3 cases you mentioned above!

;)

Maybe just buy a purse or saddle bag to carry your stuff!

Seriously though even holding 3-5 cards is not enough to replace a wallet.
Need 2-3 CC cards, 1-2 insurance cards, driver license,business cards, meds card, Costco card, park pass, ham license, and a few other things.

Money is on a clip. Carrying one $20 doesn't do it.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Pretty sad and non-innovative that there's no case that has just 3 of those features...
Hundreds of case makers just making the same and differentiating themselves with tiny color and design differences...

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
1. Shock proof
2. Water proof
3. Wireless charging
4. Additional battery
5. Additional storage
6. Place for credit card
7. What else?

If such a case were to exist, what would your expectation be for size and price? To add all of those features, or even three of them, my guess is you're looking at an $80+ case that doubles to triples the thickness of the phone. There isn't much of a market for that. It's not that there is a lack of innovation in case makers (though I will admit I'm really disappointed in the options available for the 6+), but the ROI for creating a case with, for instance, wireless charging + additional battery + additional storage isn't that great. Those are three relatively expensive features for a manufacturer to pack into a case, and there is a very limited number of users who need that kind of capability. Even fewer users are willing to fork over $100 for it.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
1. Shock proof
2. Water proof
3. Wireless charging
4. Additional battery
5. Additional storage
6. Place for credit card
7. What else?

Since the title is on the topic of "dream" feature set, to continue with the theme..
I like all you mentioned, but add the following for my own dream features:

8. Strong grip (when holding, but not when pulling/putting in pockets)
9. High enough lip (to accomodate tempered glass)
10. Paper thin
11. Provides cooling like a heatsink (especially when playing games)

We can dream can't we? ;)

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If such a case were to exist, what would your expectation be for size and price? To add all of those features, or even three of them, my guess is you're looking at an $80+ case that doubles to triples the thickness of the phone. There isn't much of a market for that. It's not that there is a lack of innovation in case makers (though I will admit I'm really disappointed in the options available for the 6+), but the ROI for creating a case with, for instance, wireless charging + additional battery + additional storage isn't that great. Those are three relatively expensive features for a manufacturer to pack into a case, and there is a very limited number of users who need that kind of capability. Even fewer users are willing to fork over $100 for it.
If this multiple-feature-case would make iP6 as thick as my 4s with Defenfer, I wouldn't mind. Price would be high, but since I'm buying Lifeproof's Nüüd, which costs a lot even with only 2 of these features, I wouldn't mind.

But since there are many cases that have battery and some that have storage and wireless charging, I'm still amazed that there are so few people that want all those 3. Putting them in one case would be a lot cheaper than buying 3 different cases...

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If this multiple-feature-case would make iP6 as thick as my 4s with Defenfer, I wouldn't mind. Price would be high, but since I'm buying Lifeproof's Nüüd, which costs a lot even with only 2 of these features, I wouldn't mind.

But since there are many cases that have battery and some that have storage and wireless charging, I'm still amazed that there are so few people that want all those 3. Putting them in one case would be a lot cheaper than buying 3 different cases...

Here is the thing: to make money, you have to sell enough of them. Here goes the scenario:

1/100 people wants extra storage
1/100 people wants wireless charging and the extras to make it works.
1/100 people want additional credit card slot

Adding all the factors together, you get an average of 1 out of 1 millions people who wants a case with all the 3 features. There is not a strong enough demand to make a profit.

Reactions: mysterydate

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Here is the thing: to make money, you have to sell enough of them. Here goes the scenario:

1/100 people wants extra storage
1/100 people wants wireless charging and the extras to make it works.
1/100 people want additional credit card slot

Adding all the factors together, you get an average of 1 out of 1 millions people who wants a case with all the 3 features. There is not a strong enough demand to make a profit.

Exactly my point.

Very, very few people want/need extra storage in their iDevices, especially given how much media can be consumed OTA via the cloud. Likewise with wireless charging - there just isn't the demand for it. Anyone who's had another iPhone 5 or later already has one or more lightning cables, and they're not that much of a pain to tote around. Imagine having to carry a wireless charging pad everywhere.

For those who want extra battery, there are many such cases available. I'd venture to bet at least one of them includes credit card storage. All of them claim to be "shock proof."

I don't claim to be an engineer, but I would imagine extra battery/wireless charging and waterproofing are mutually exclusive properties in a case. While technically possible, the costs associated with creating such a case would far outweigh any sales that it would muster.

Unfortunately, it comes down to the fact that the feature set that the OP brought up is tailored to a gearhead/super power user. The VAST majority of iPhone users don't fall into that category. Case makers need to tailor their product lines to that consumer base in order to make money, so that's what they do.

Now if someone could just make an attractive credit card case that actually covers at least the top and sides of the phone (and is not a folio)... :p

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Imagine having to carry a wireless charging pad everywhere.
Nope, you could still use wired charging also.
Just having pads on 2 the most used places would cut 90% of my plugging/unplugging needs.
The inconvenience of plugging jumps bigger when having an old battery. Many times you have to unplug to use the phone and then you forget to re-plug and few hours later you notice that your battery is almost empty...

Found some interesting kickstarters:
http://www.xspander.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-only-microsd-expandable-phone-c/description
The problem here of course is, that you'd need to be one of the biggest case makers to pull these through. And the big ones do just simple cases to get huge profits. Mophie copies Apple's idea with non-expandable storage with huge profits.

Some nice tries:
http://www.macworld.com/product/143...rmat-wireless-charging-pad-for-iphone-5s.html

Well, looks like it's going to be Lifeproof anyway for new iP, maybe 6S will have same physicals than iP6, so I won't have to wait the whole year for new Nüüd. And now for quick fix new battery and simple storagecase for 4S... Or wait, is Mophie's case the only one on the planet?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The thing is wireless charging is cool, but in reality it doesn't add much for me. I have a dock by my bed, and every night I dock my phone. Wireless charging would save me a couple of seconds each night.

For the last 3 model iPhones I have, I typically have 30-40% battery at the end of the day. I keep my phone for 2 years, and I don't notice battery degredation at the end of 2 years, so my charging routine doesn't change over the year: one second to dock the phone at night.

The trade off of wireless charging is not worth it for me right now.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Since the title is on the topic of "dream" feature set, to continue with the theme..
I like all you mentioned, but add the following for my own dream features:

8. Strong grip (when holding, but not when pulling/putting in pockets)
9. High enough lip (to accomodate tempered glass)
10. Paper thin
11. Provides cooling like a heatsink (especially when playing games)

We can dream can't we? ;)

We've got grip, lip, and considering our cases are made of paper, by definition we're 'paper thin'. :cool:

Reactions: Nancy bout
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.