Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
How can I fix this? I have a MBA and an iPad. Is there anything I can do? Does it have to do with my router (Netgear Nighthawk)? I have had the router for almost a year and only recently have I noticed the problem. Ping has ranged from 151-641(!)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ah, your LATENCY.

There is about zero you can do, this occur outside your home, on the Internet.

Oh, there is something you can do: if this occur consistently, no matter where you are pinging to (destination), you should first power down everything and cold boot and see if that resolve the prob.

If still prob, the only thing you can do is to complaint to your ISP. HEY YO, YOUR ROUTERS ARE MESSED UP! Their router are shipping your packets via the scenic route rather than the most direct. ^) This sometimes happens when part of their infrastructure is under maintenance.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
How can I fix this? I have a MBA and an iPad. Is there anything I can do? Does it have to do with my router (Netgear Nighthawk)? I have had the router for almost a year and only recently have I noticed the problem. Ping has ranged from 151-641(!)

Is it the same between all your different devices?

Maybe there's some new RF interference in your area and you should switch your router to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz...

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
A few questions...
1. Did you notice a slow-down or did you just do a speedtest and was alarmed with the results?

If it's just that you're scared about the numbers, not a problem unless your internet is and feels slow.

2. Did you configure your router yourself or is it a router owned by your ISP?

If you configured it and can change the settings, it might be good to check some settings. Try different frequencies, Update your router firmware, Check the cabling, etc..

But that doesn't guarantee to fix the problem in question. Just might help a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.