Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Ok, basically I was browsing around eBay when I saw an auction for a Power Mac G5 which was about to end. The seller was unaware it was a quad, he probably didn't know much about computers. When bidding I didn't know it was a Quad either, but I could tell from the photos it was a Late 2005 model because of the 3 USB ports on the back, so I bid anyway because at the worst it would be a dual 2Ghz.
I won it for £15 and the seller lives in the same area as me!
Last month I got a Quad for £50 and I thought THAT was a steal!
(I will be putting one of the 2 Quads up on eBay for cheap, feel free to send me any offers)

Last edited:

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Ok, basically I was browsing around eBay when I saw an auction for a Power Mac G5 which was about to end. The seller was unaware it was a quad, he probably didn't know much about computers. When bidding I didn't know it was a Quad either, but I could tell from the photos it was a Late 2005 model because of the 3 USB ports on the back, so I bid anyway because at the worst it would be a dual 2Ghz.
(I will be putting one of the 2 Quads up on eBay for cheap, feel free to send me any offers)

Lucky find! I got my dual 2.7 G5 for $50 a while back and I though that was a good deal. I'd totally want to buy it from you if I lived in the UK!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would PM you an offer, but you are across the pond and the last time I sent something across the pond it was a video card and cost the buyer over $60US.

I don't want to think what the cost would be to ship a Quad G5. :eek:

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I would PM you an offer, but you are across the pond and the last time I sent something across the pond it was a video card and cost the buyer over $60US.

I don't want to think what the cost would be to ship a Quad G5. :eek:

Yeah, it's a shame the large majority of the people on this forum are from the US! I reckon the shipping cost would be more than the actual cost of the system, even a quad! :mad:

----------

What would you be after and where in the UK are you? I'm in Doncaster.

Well, I'm down in London. You're about a 3hr drive away, or you could arrange shipping. Would £90 be a good price for a quad? Could anyone help out with the value because I'm not 100% sure.
The reason I got the pair for such a cheap price is because almost every day I check prices on eBay for a few minutes and hope I get lucky. Because these systems were only sold up till 2006 most people don't see a difference between the different models. These listings for quad G5s pop up about once every 2-3 months or so.
However, there are many sellers who list quads knowing their true value and include it in the description etc. and these ones go for around £80-£120.
Let me know what you think! :apple:

stewart1981

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
That seems a fair price but to either drive down or sort shipping will make it more than I can afford (or my wife would let me spend....). Thanks for the swift reply and you deserve to find a buyer with the work you've done getting them.

I know a few people who are interested in PowerPC's. If any express interest I'll put them your way.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Looking at where I live... Id love a Quad (I even offered my MBP for your other one in the other topic) But Like I said there I cant come and Collect due to medical problems (and Im not sure if i even have space for another G5 But man a Quad so tempting LOL )

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
That seems a fair price but to either drive down or sort shipping will make it more than I can afford (or my wife would let me spend....). Thanks for the swift reply and you deserve to find a buyer with the work you've done getting them.

I know a few people who are interested in PowerPC's. If any express interest I'll put them your way.

That's a shame, but let me know if you change your mind! :p

----------

Looking at where I live... Id love a Quad (I even offered my MBP for your other one in the other topic) But Like I said there I cant come and Collect due to medical problems (and Im not sure if i even have space for another G5 But man a Quad so tempting LOL )

If you live in London, I could drop it off for £10-£20 extra depending on how far you are!

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
is it £10-20 Extra plus the Macbook pro for it or £15 plus £10-20 for it? (Im in east London if that helps. if we are actually going through with this ill PM you my Addy etc)

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
is it £10-20 Extra plus the Macbook pro for it or £15 plus £10-20 for it? (Im in east London if that helps. if we are actually going through with this ill PM you my Addy etc)

I mentioned to stewart1981 that I'm offering it for £90. Because driving will take a while, each mile would be an extra £10.
e.g. £20 delivery for a 2 mile drive, including the quad that would be £110.

If you include the MPB I can make it £50 for the quad and free delivery for a few miles. :p

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I mentioned to stewart1981 that I'm offering it for £90. Because driving will take a while, each mile would be an extra £10.
e.g. £20 delivery for a 2 mile drive, including the quad that would be £110.

If you include the MPB I can make it £50 for the quad and free delivery for a few miles. :p

Oh ok understood, Sadly I cant go through with the deal (not that its a bad deal its Im Kinda broke ATM So I can only Pay in computers/computer parts) Im not even sure if I have space for another G5 (its why i took the sawtooth apart to save space) But yeah id Love a quad at some point heh currently im happy with my Dual 2Ghz 7,3 G5 heh

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Oh ok understood, Sadly I cant go through with the deal (not that its a bad deal its Im Kinda broke ATM So I can only Pay in computers/computer parts) Im not even sure if I have space for another G5 (its why i took the sawtooth apart to save space) But yeah id Love a quad at some point heh currently im happy with my Dual 2Ghz 7,3 G5 heh

Aw, that's a shame. :(

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Like I said Normally id be all over this but I just dont have the money atm im afraid... (and I am trying to save up for a Mac pro as my main machine is on its last legs) the Best I can offer is my MBP and to cover the £50 a Gigadesgines 7455B singal CPU upgrade for a sawtooth to quicksilver (chip is rated for 1.25Ghz but factory OC to 1.4Ghz and it runs at 1.5Ghz for me np) but I dont know if that interests you

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Like I said Normally id be all over this but I just dont have the money atm im afraid... (and I am trying to save up for a Mac pro as my main machine is on its last legs) the Best I can offer is my MBP and to cover the £50 a Gigadesgines 7455B singal CPU upgrade for a sawtooth to quicksilver (chip is rated for 1.25Ghz but factory OC to 1.4Ghz and it runs at 1.5Ghz for me np) but I dont know if that interests you

Don't worry man, unfortunately I don't have a G4 atm anyways :(
I would do the same thing as you - get a good main machine first! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.