Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twobelowpar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
I got my dad an ATV for his birthday last week. They have a very slow internet connection. They're in a rural area and the only high speed option is something called fixed wireless. It's slow but beats dial up, obviously.
After getting it set up for them, I logged into my iTunes account to try it out. Any movie I tried to play would say it would start in 7 hours or whatever. So I changed it to standard definition and it went down to about 43 minutes but even that increased to a couple hours after waiting a few minutes. The strange thing is Netflix streams in perfect HD with almost no buffering. Is the required MBPS that different between Netflix and iTunes? Haven't had him try any other channels but I should see if something like Crackle works too. I included an ethernet cable to hopefully help with this issue, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Netflix works fine whether it's through WiFi or ethernet.

They can change their internet plan to a faster speed but the usage is on it is terrible. Right now their speed sucks but they have unlimited usage.. so it's sort of a catch 22.

Primalsage

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Hmm, Netflix requires 6mps for 1080p and its adaptive streaming is quite good at matching the speed so they are probably getting a steady 720p.

If I had to guess, the iTunes streaming is either a higher bitrate than Netflix or it just doesn't do adaptive streaming. I think it's the latter. That means it will try doing 1080p, which the line can't handle without prebuffering a lot of the movie. Basically it will buffer until it calculates that playing the movie won't catch up to the buffering.

Try lowering the resolution in the ATV settings to 720p. I think iTunes will default to 720p streams then.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try the netflix sample, it will show you what resolution you're actually watching (and the bitrate it's using)
link below, or search "example short 23.976"

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810

the PAR is "pixel aspect ratio" 1:1 means the image is the same ratio as your screen, some of the lower resolutions are squished into a square image, then stretched to fit your screen.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Had a similar problem a few weeks ago, changed the DNS to on of google's and it fixed the issue. I changed it back to automatic yesterday and all is well. Not sure if it was an AT&T or Apple issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.