Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slux

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Hi, I'm getting a graphical glitch while playing Evolve on my retina iMac. Symptoms are a roughly rectangular patch of flickering black squares in the upper-right part of the screen.

This only usually happens near the start of a game, lasts for maybe a minute and goes away. It may come back later on but usually does not.

iMac specs:
  • Retina iMac 27"
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon R9 M295X
  • Windows 7 Bootcamp

Evolve graphics settings:
  • Full Screen
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Anti-Aliasing: SMAA 1TX
  • VSYNC: 1 Frame
  • All Other Advanced Settings: Very High

I've tried lowering the resolution, removing FSAA and VSYNC, but it still seems to occur.

Is anyone else observing this behaviour? I can live with it, but I feel that I shouldn't have to.

I considered changing from default Bootcamp AMD drivers to the official ones but a google search shows me that this is actually not as easy as it sounds and may cause problems with my system. But please let me know if you've had success with this.

Thanks for any info.

Slux

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
So yeah, just bumping this.

I am wondering if the lack of replies indicates that I am the only one with this problem? Can anyone confirm they have Evolve running on highest settings on retina iMac, glitch-free?

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
So yeah, just bumping this.

I am wondering if the lack of replies indicates that I am the only one with this problem? Can anyone confirm they have Evolve running on highest settings on retina iMac, glitch-free?

Being a graphics /game programmer...
That really sounds like a driver bug of some kind.
I have seen that happen with games I work on.
Where the driver is basically getting confused about the graphics state.
You get weird things like areas of the screen being blended with other areas or buffers not being cleared properly.

Slux

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
For what it's worth, the latest Apple graphics driver for retina iMac fixed this behaviour!
So I guess it was a driver issue after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.