Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarCees

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Hi!

(Apologise if this subject have already been up)

I'd like to determine wether my imac g5 cpu throttles or not. I remember I've used a terminal command to determine wether my macbook cpu throttled (it did) but I don't remember the command.

If possible I would like to display the current cpu frequency.
Thanks.

:apple::apple:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi!

(Apologise if this subject have already been up)

I'd like to determine wether my imac g5 cpu throttles or not. I remember I've used a terminal command to determine wether my macbook cpu throttled (it did) but I don't remember the command.

If possible I would like to display the current cpu frequency.
Thanks.

:apple::apple:

As far as I know, this isn't possible in Terminal on PPC machines, the command sysctl hw.cpufrequency returns a figure but it's purely based on the ID of your machine, not an actual measure. The sysctl command is known to be broken and was never fixed by Apple.

HarCees

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
As far as I know, this isn't possible in Terminal on PPC machines, the command sysctl hw.cpufrequency returns a figure but it's purely based on the ID of your machine, not an actual measure. The sysctl command is known to be broken and was never fixed by Apple.

Thanks for the info! As you said It only gave me the machine-specific number.
Are you aware of any "basic" , non- rocket sience way of telling wether the ppc (or other computer) is indeed throtteling ?
The internal design of the Imac G5 is not optimal, and I guess many other users have experienced the peak-acceptable temperatures. (My Imac likes to be around 80 - 90C)

It have worked for me all these years tough...even if the psu sounds like it wants to explode :p

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm pretty sure there's frequency scaling on the iMac G5 - if you look in System Preferences/Energy Saver/Options there is a drop down for Processor Performance - when set to Automatic the CPU will throttle as and when.

When I had an iMac G5 the fans would be the tell tale sign of the CPU cranking up - Garageband used to really make it roar!

I'm not sure on the figures but maybe 80 - 90 C is a little too high, maybe some other users can comment on that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.