Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
US
@chrisb

Have you experienced any screen flickering or system reboot with your MSI card with 351.rom?

Update: Nevermind, I think I have figured out why my card was flickering, a little bit of voltage has made it stable. Thx

Last edited:

kennyman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
US
What'd you change?

2D VDDC, OverDrive and PowerTune Voltages

It does not matter, you can edit on both the EFI Rom or PC Rom. The GPU clock and memory clock will remain same on both OS after you edit it. To be safe, better adjust your GPU setting on Windows and do EFI part the last.

There are a lot of posts online with regards to bios mod, you can start with this and this.

Please be careful thou, in my case, I do not have voltage limitation as I have AUX PSU and a custom cooler, so overclocking or under clocking is not an issue, heat is also within the acceptable thermal envelope. Please see my previous thread from the link below.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19387735/

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
@chrisb

Have you experienced any screen flickering or system reboot with your MSI card with 351.rom?

Update: Nevermind, I think I have figured out why my card was flickering, a little bit of voltage has made it stable. Thx

That's strange. 351 cured the flickering in one of 3 cards I planned to RMA :D
Each sample acts different, that's why I consider these MSI cards unpredictable crap.

chrisb42

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
No flickering on my end, but when it's really busy, like running Unigine Heaven, it produces a sort of "crackling" sound (for a lack of a better word). During scene changes with a black screen it's quiet, but when active the crackling sounds are noticeable. It's quiet otherwise, though.

mamfo

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
MSI R9 280x Gamming 3G

hello
I need help
I bought a MSI R9 280x Gamming 3G tried efi Mr. Zarniwoop and OSX side appears identified but error in the total RAM.
In Bootcamp with the installed tools makes boot and reboot and reboot.
I tried to reinstall bootcamp and appears error in identifying the graphics card.
I again put the original ROM and everything is ok but no boot screen and without identifying the card in OSX.
thank you
MSIR9280X.jpg

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
hello
I need help
I bought a MSI R9 280x Gamming 3G tried efi Mr. Zarniwoop and OSX side appears identified but error in the total RAM.
In Bootcamp with the installed tools makes boot and reboot and reboot.
I tried to reinstall bootcamp and appears error in identifying the graphics card.
I again put the original ROM and everything is ok but no boot screen and without identifying the card in OSX.
thank you

You need to put your BIOS into the zarni EFI.

mcaudell

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
I think I did an oops...

Hi all. I do my best to read through an entire thread before asking questions. So here goes.
I just purchased a Sapphire Dual-x 280 (non x) from Newegg. I purchased this card mainly because it only had 2x 6pin power connections and I figured this would keep me either below or very close to the 75w+75w+75w=225watt spec. I was able to download the Tahiti.rom.efi.rom.zip and the MSI R9 280 Mac EBC.efi.rom.zip from the links in this thread (thanks). I have a pc running winds 7 that I figured I could use to do the flashing. I also downloaded ati_winflash_2.6.7.zip to do the flashing. I thought I had it all figured out until I saw one comment regarding cards that do not have 2 MDP's. After this long winded explanation my question is: Will this card work without flashing and will it work after flashing? Thanks

holyfield

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
About R9 280X

I can confirm that R9 280X is a reasonable upgrade for an old comp to replace autdated graphic cards. FCPX works a lot faster now.

Unigine Heaven Benchmark:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS: 35.2
Score: 886
Min FPS: 7.6
Max FPS: 83.9

System
Platform: Darwin 14.3.0 x86_64
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (2832MHz) x4
GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx (3072MB) x1

Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1600x900 8xAA windowed
Preset Extreme

150509_0001.jpg

aphexz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Hey guys!
I'm still having some issues, maybe you could help me out! I used the instructions to patch the rom and flashed it however when i then start Yosemite it still doesnt recognize the card. I'm using a Sapphire Vapor-X 3GB 280X. I even tried flashing the rom for the Sapphire Dual-X 280X, but still no result.

Hope you guys can help!

Any Success with the Vapor-X 3GB? I also patched my BIOS with the script, flashed it, but it does not work.

The Script promts, that everything patched fine / successfully.

Any clues how to get the card working?

Edit:

Ok, got it working. just need to read, patch and flash the second GPU-BIOS (blue-LED in Switch is OFF).
Now I only need to edit the Naming in a Hex-Editor. If I search for 79** noting is found. I'm running 10.9.5 and the card was also recognized as Radeon 7xxx before the EFI-Mod. With GPU-Z on Win8 it is recognized correct.

Last edited:

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
Thanks for starting this thread, quick background, I had been running a 2006 with mavericks but it was taking 20mins to boot as it looked for the boot disk not a problem in daily use as it rarely needed rebooting so I never bothered to fix it properly but with my laptop and work mini running yosemite I dreaded the hassle of upgrading it and one thing led to another.

I bought a dual 5,1 mac pro with the quad 2.4Ghz cpus. First step was a ram upgrade - if you want ultimate speed I was able to borrow lots of ram to test and for maximum speed (the hit isn't too much using all 8 slots but it shows on geekbench) don't use slots 4 and 8 just 1-3 and 5-7, I currently have 6 x 16Gb installed.

Next was upgrade to ssd using sonnet tempro ssd pcie pro card - still work in progress as I need to boot into bootcamp for the card flashing and it kept getting confiused and crashing - as I had made a few changes in quite a short Time I wasn't sure what was causing it to crash when waking from sleep so I removed teh temp as a first step.

Ordered a pair of 3.06 Hexa x5675 CPUs from UK as I didn't want to mess with an external power supply and these are the fastest low power CPUs - installed these and now geekbenching happily around or over 28500.

I would like a 4K monitor so next step was to replace the HD5770 card with a new one, I found this thread saw the bios there ready and waiting so I ordered the exact same MSI card.

Trying to avoid too much work I threw caution to the wind and flashed it with mr Zarniwoops bios, looked great and appeared to work fine except that the RAM on the card was showing wrongly a huge amount, I was not sure if this is just cosmetic or affects performance. Then I see mamfo had the exact same problem, great I think I will just use the rom posted for hi,e unfortunately I get VBIOS not found error when trying to flash with his rom but the original Zarniwoops bios flashes fine. I opened both up in a hex editor and can only see the bios string as being different, I double checked using cpuz that mamfo bios is the same as mine which it is. (however both have x77 at the end and its written as 077 in the bios - does that matter?)

Is there any actual difference in the legacy and uefi bios switchable rom areas?

Next step is to try a hex edit of mr zarniwoops rom to add my bios (legacy) but I don't understand why mamfo's bios does not work when its only the bios string itself thats different.

I could live with mr Zarniwoops bios as long as I know that the incorrect RAM amount is just a comment (shows up in windows gpuz incorrect as well) and doesn't affect speed

Lastly it came with the switch set to uefi boot not legacy which I where I flashed it to originally - yes without backup but I was expecting it to work and I am not worried about installing the card in windows 8 at any time, I did backup the legacy rom though

Bios Version Graphic Card:
015.044.000.007.000000.(113-C3865000-X77)

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
You don't need bootcamp to flash the Tempo card. You may heading the wrong direction, that's why keep crashing.

Thanks - I should have been more clear, I have been booting in and out of bootcamp to try and flash the 280x - I have used marvell89182 app from the mac to flash the sonnet, BUT had to boot from an unecrypted disk in a sata bay to do that, I think the sonnet crashing is possibly to do with filevault. I currently have the ssd boot drive in a sata bay and it is running fine so next step is unencrypting it and trying it back on the sonnet tempo.

Interstingly when it was installed on the tempo it would boot from the zarniwoops bios but not the standard legacy - I am guessing because it needed the password to boot hence I am decrypting it to try and see what happens then. The tempo card is currently installed and has a non boot SSD on it and its been fine. It could I suppose also be the zarniwoop bios on the r280x that is crashing the mac and not the tempo but I can't test that until filevault is disabled

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
rom not found means exactly that

you entered name wrong or it isn't where it is expected

Thanks for looking, I thought maybe it was a permision problem or that the file name was too long so copied and renamed it and still the same.

I have the exact same model EAN and UPC as zarniwoop so I expected his to work out of the box but I see strange memroy size in gpuz see attached.

From my reading you add the efi to the bios and they are together in the ROM and as you can upgrade the bios (msi forum and differing versions for card on techpowerup) I am therefore surprised why it doesn't work.

Its a shame you are in the states otherwise I would send the card to you as I wasn't expecting to spend so much time on it, I will get there eventually but I didn't want the hassle of installing php etc just to do this - I am trying to keep this mac clean.

Do you offer an email ROM service from your official site?

Attachments

• r280flashed.gif
    r280flashed.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 260

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
in the GPUz screenshot i noticed that the OpenCL box is not ticked, thinking it was a driver issues in windows I installed the driver from the disk that came with the card and its still the same and some fields show as unknown but I have see screen shots with OpenCL ticked and also all fields filled in.

does the displayed memory size matter or is it just cosmetic.

Thanks in advance

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If it says "rom not found" then it isn't finding it.

That simple.

Make sure it has correct name and file type and is in right place. 280x.rom is different from 280x.bin is different from 280x.rom.bin.

Rom has to be where it is expected

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
I have just reread the thread and must have somehow missed the posts from someone with the exact same issue and reply about incorrect memory size so I try whats suggested - thanks

swisspace

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
Ok I am giving up! I have bricked once side of the card, I copied the efi part from zarniwoops rom into mine which gave vbios not found errors, this was solved by running the fixrom python script - foolish me didn't realise python was already installed. Then I was getting SubsystemId does not match error so looking on techpowerup I found two commands atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 and then atiwinflash -f -p 0 <mynewrom which seemed to load an empty file and black screen even when booting in windows so restarted windows with switch back in legacy position, flicked swith to hybrid and reran the atiwinflash commands but instead using the mamforom (which was also failing for me with vbios not found so i ran the fixrom script). still blank screen when booting to windows and when I try using the atiwinflash gui to rewrite the default rom I get subsystemid error again. so I think I will give up, I have reflashed the original legacy bios to the legacy side and it all seems stable. I am guessing macvidcards warning about a bin file is not a rom is not a rom.bin means that I have corrupted something on the hybrid side. I can manage with the standard rom although a working one would be better. I really cant see why the mamfo rom didn't work I have the same version and had the exact same ram reporting with the zarniwoop version - I am giving up for now as I need to do some real work on it but if anyone fancies having a look to see why my Rom doesn't work I have attached the original and modified one I would be curious to know what part I missed

Attachments

• Tahitilegacy280x.rom.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 128
  • MSIegacy280xModded.rom.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
dude, seriously, I told you what to do awhile ago

you have magnified a small problem into a giant one

why not just take my word for your problem?

I have flashed 1000's of cards but for some reason you thought you had a better understanding

if you had a brain tumor would you listen to a brain surgeon or read up and get out a knife and bottle of whiskey?

please go to Netkas and read. And I mean REALLY READ.

Here is sad fact, a few years ago there was a vibrant community of people working together to figure out GPUs for Macs

After 2006 it has been exactly 2 people who figured out 99% of "off the grid" GPUs.

MVC and Netkas

Just us. We have offered up free, help yourself, advice and roms for AMD cards. We can't drive to your house and flash for you.

It really is weird that only 2 people have had to hold up Mac GPUs.

Anyhow, I told you many posts ago what you were doing wrong. You just aren't listening. You are like Dorothy wearing the Ruby slippers. But even after being told to tap the slippers together you have chosen to tap your earrings together 3 times.

I told you what the problem is. Either follow my advice or stare at a black screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.