Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I'm surprised Apple isn't asking people to bathe and put on clean clothes. The sales clerks and other shoppers don't enjoy being around people who stink like onions or wet potatoes.

Seppentoni

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Europe
No sir.

You are wrong.

The linedancers dance lines because it's fun to linedance.

But the apple employees don't high-five you because because it's fun but because they are so happy you will give them money. If you look closely you can see little dollar signs in their eyes.

In other words, you are one of those people who stands on the sidelines shaking your head as you watch other people have a great time enjoying something, wishing you could join in and have fun too but too inhibited by your sense of how you "should" behave. I get it. I always felt the same way when I would be on a cruise watching people have a great time doing line dancing. I was too inhibited to join in so I substituted making fun of the people enjoying themselves to make myself feel better. I was too "above" that kind of silliness. Kind of childish and self-defeating in hindsight. Now that I'm older, I don't care what other people think and I join in and have fun along with the people I used to make fun of. Life is much better now. Hope you get there someday before you miss out on too much joy. Being "superior" is lonely.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You are wrong.

The linedancers dance lines because it's fun to linedance.

But the apple employees don't high-five you because because it's fun but because they are so happy you will give them money. If you look closely you can see little dollar signs in their eyes.

1) I'm not a "sir". Not everyone here is male so you are better off skipping the "sir"s or "bro"s or "dudes" unless you are very sure who you are talking to.

2) We weren't talking about whether the employees are having fun. We were discussing why people who go to first day events are excited and having fun.

----------

Doesn't all of this seem a little douche-ish?

Try on appointments? It's a ****ing Brooks Brothers suit, not a Rolex Sub-Mariner.

I don't understand why crowd control is such a controversial subject for some people. It's kind of hard to try on a watch when it's strapped to a table to prevent stealing and it would be impossible to keep track of a bunch of loose watches with a crowd around them all trying them on. How long do you think those watches would stay in the store? Lol, Rolex Sub Mariner. Men sure have a chubby for those old fart watches.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Lol, Rolex Sub Mariner. Men sure have a chubby for those old fart watches.

Feel free to sub in whatever it is people from Minnesota get excited about.

I assume "Moving out of Minnesota" is near the top of the list.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Feel free to sub in whatever it is people from Minnesota get excited about.

I assume "Moving out of Minnesota" is near the top of the list.

I love Minnesota. Grew up here, lived in Louisiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Maryland a few years for work and moved right back to MN to start my freelance business. But then, I'm not a wuss about a little cold weather. MN is an awesome state to live in. Great schools, reasonable prices for housing, excellent and abundant medical services, great people, great place for all the arts, pretty good sports teams if you like that sort of thing, many great companies to work for, diverse communities that mostly get along with each other. Other than a little weather to deal with, it's an excellent place to live.

Hey, if you like those huge, gaudy watches more power to you. That's probably why you don't like the Apple Watch. It's not conspicuous enough.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I love Minnesota. Grew up here, lived in Louisiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Maryland a few years for work and moved right back to MN to start my freelance business. But then, I'm not a wuss about a little cold weather. MN is an awesome state to live in. Great schools, reasonable prices for housing, excellent and abundant medical services, great people, great place for all the arts, pretty good sports teams if you like that sort of thing, many great companies to work for, diverse communities that mostly get along with each other. Other than a little weather to deal with, it's an excellent place to live.

Hey, if you like those huge, gaudy watches more power to you. That's probably why you don't like the Apple Watch. It's not conspicuous enough.

Yeah, I hear Winter is the nicest 11 months of the year.

Regardless, I invite you to read the original post to which I responded for a little context for my (admittedly snarky) original comment, and then please give me more information about MN's great schools and all the arts.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Yeah, I hear Winter is the nicest 11 months of the year.

Regardless, I invite you to read the original post to which I responded for a little context for my (admittedly snarky) original comment, and then please give me more information about MN's great schools and all the arts.

Did you know water skiing and roller blading were invented in MN? Not things you would do in the winter. 11 months of winter, huh? Nice myth. Don't know if it's still true but at times MN had the most performing arts venues per capita than any other state. I think now it's the most theater seats outside of NYC. And MN schools and graduation rates are always in the top 5 in the USA. It was convenient that I lived in MN when I wanted to get a chemical engineering degree because at the time, the U of MN had the second best Chem E school in the country, behind only MIT. I just looked it up and now it's the 5th best behind MIT, UCal Berkely, California InstofTech, and Stanford. Slipped a little but very good company and not that far apart in ranks. Our medical schools also score very high, not to mention having the Mayo Clinic here. We are also consistently ranked high in quality of life, most literate, health of citizens, and other categories. If you care, the Advocate called Minneapolis the most gay-friendly city (take that San Francisco!) and the best for interracial couples. Any more MN trivia you need?

My reaction to your post was a result of countless other posts by guys saying "AppleWatch is crap vs 'insert any old-school super expensive single function watch here'". Posts made apparently as an opportunity to brag about the super expensive single function watch that person owns. It's tedious to read those posts because they don't actually add value to the discussion, IMO. I don't know why you would compare a $600 watch with a multi-thousand dollar watch (unless the discussion is limited to just the Edition version of the watch which virtually no one here really cares about.). Being a practical gal, I'll spend $600 for several years use of an iPhone accessory vs thousands for a watch that only tells the time and makes other people think I'm a show off trying too hard to impress them.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
My reaction to your post was a result of countless other posts by guys saying "AppleWatch is crap vs 'insert any old-school super expensive single function watch here'". Posts made apparently as an opportunity to brag about the super expensive single function watch that person owns.

Seems a little too overly protesty/defensive/garrulous to me but whatevs

Any more MN trivia you need?

What's the largest lake crossing state lines, and who was the first to swim across it?

I assume, to freedom.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Seems a little too overly protesty/defensive/garrulous to me but whatevs

What's the largest lake crossing state lines, and who was the first to swim across it?

I assume, to freedom.

I don't know why you're giving MN a hard time. How different is it really from Toronto? If anything, you are probably colder. You do have a better healthcare coverage system but that's not this voter's doing ;) Unless you are a frenchie we probably even have the same accent. Eh?

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I don't know why you're giving MN a hard time. How different is it really from Toronto? If anything, you are probably colder. You do have a better healthcare coverage system but that's not this voter's doing ;) Unless you are a frenchie we probably even have the same accent. Eh?

Sick burn.

No, our accent is noticeably worse as soon as you get out of the actual city.

Gratz on voting against healthcare I guess?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Sick burn.

No, our accent is noticeably worse as soon as you get out of the actual city.

Gratz on voting against healthcare I guess?

Just so I'm not misunderstood. I like "Obamacare" but universal healthcare like Canada has would have been better. My comment referred to me not voting for the people who forced us to settle for less than universal (the GOP).

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
So it is after 3:01 ET and I can't make an appointment yet to try on the watches. When do they put that up?

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Got my order in. A summary, for those who might be wondering how it went:
Space Gray Aluminum 42mm with black sport band and apple care.
Unfortunately, it took 10 minutes for me to get to the store and by that time delivery is delayed until mid to late May. That's a bummer because I start a week-long road trip the last week in April and would have loved to have had an Apple Watch on my wrist for that. :)
Inexplicably, in-store pickup was listed as unavailable though my shipping address is 20 minutes from an Apple Store.
I was going to buy a second one--a 42mm stainless steel case with black sport band, but delivery on that model was going to be as late as on the Sport Watch, so I'll just wait.
I scheduled an in-store visit for this morning and will use it to compare weights of the sport and standard watch models, to see if I really prefer the color I've ordered, and to check out alternate bands. I thought it interesting (odd?) that although the store was so tied up with orders, and shipping delays already occurring, I was able to schedule the first-in-the-morning slot for the hands-on experience.
I think the Watch is going to be a very satisfying experience. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.