Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Use my Apple TV 3 at home on my home WiFi network. Using my iPhone I can airplay stuff to it fine.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you don't need a WiFi network now to be able to use Apple TV.

So is this possible... Take my iPhone and Apple TV to a cottage that doesn't have WiFi and stream some saved movies on my iPhone to the Apple TV to watch? 3G/4G service will be poor to, so I'll sync some movies to my iPhone so they are saved on my iPhone.

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Can you airplay from iPhone direct to aTV3?

No, you can connect to it directly via bluetooth but you cant stream anything.

Ah... So what it's point? I thought (trying to find it), that for example presentations for salesman could be done like this with no WiFi. So going to a convention, setting up an iPhone and Apple TV could show stuff, thus not how it works?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Ah... So what it's point? I thought (trying to find it), that for example presentations for salesman could be done like this with no WiFi. So going to a convention, setting up an iPhone and Apple TV could show stuff, thus not how it works?

If you are in a school, or business with a lot of apple TVs on the same wifi network, you can use bluetooth to select the Apple TV closest to you, which is more than likely the Apple TV you are trying to AirPlay to. Its for convenience.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Still not 100% clear to me to be honest. Not sure if that link, but on YouTube someone said using it in a mini van, connected to a screen, kids using iPads.

Be great and handy if does

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Please report if try and works with explanation please. Can't try it at mo, but may buy another aTV3 A1469 if this works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.