Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
So I've been looking at buying a new Mac.

I currently run a mid-2012 MacBook Air 11", 1.7ghz, 4GB RAM, 126GB SSD which I use in my office and at home (and when I travel for business). I also hook it up to my Thunderbolt Display and Pegasus TB HD for when I'm doing graphic design, music video production and the occasional music production.

It handles the above uses very well for such a small laptop however as I am traveling less and less and using more instesive applications I feel that it's time to update my slowly-slowing MacBook Air.

I'm considering purchasing the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro (with Force Touch). (The basic 2.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 128G SSD).

I do have a couple of question for people who have upgraded similarly to what I plan to do:

1. Did the increase in weight/thickness annoy/affect you at all? Was the trade off (a much more powerful device) worth it?
2. How much better is the rMBP vs. MBA (2011/2012 models)?
3. Are you happy with your purchase?

- I was looking into selling my MBA, buying a 2012 Mac Mini (2.5ghz, i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, 256GB SSD), hooking that up to the TBD and using it for the aforementioned uses then buying a rMB in a few months time so I still have the portability, am I better off doing this?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, it's been a while since I've had anything else but a MacBook Air.... Had the original and every iteration up to the mid-2012 model. Also had a 2010 MBP for a few months loved it but it was just far too bulky. I've also owned a 2011 iMac which I loved but because I am always on the move I couldn't justify buying another. Hence the reason why I have a TBD and MacBook now. :apple:

Last edited:

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I need to ask, why do you think your MBA "slowly slowing"?

Regarding an upgrade, spend some time in an Apple retail outlet and compare the MBP to your MBA. It's going to feel a bit heavier, but nothing over the top. The retina display is pretty damn sweet, more memory is (nearly) always a good thing and the additional ports are a plus in my book.

I'm looking at another MBP for work if a new job possibility comes through, but I'll most likely go with the 15", which is substantially lighter than my 2012 15" MBP.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
1. Did the increase in weight/thickness annoy/affect you at all? Was the trade off (a much more powerful device) worth it?
2. How much better is the rMBP vs. MBA (2011/2012 models)?
3. Are you happy with your purchase?

1. No. Yes.
2. Difference is night and day. Performance and display of rMBP runs CIRCLES around the MBA.
3. Yes. Ecstatic.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I need to ask, why do you think your MBA "slowly slowing"?

Regarding an upgrade, spend some time in an Apple retail outlet and compare the MBP to your MBA. It's going to feel a bit heavier, but nothing over the top. The retina display is pretty damn sweet, more memory is (nearly) always a good thing and the additional ports are a plus in my book.

I'm looking at another MBP for work if a new job possibility comes through, but I'll most likely go with the 15", which is substantially lighter than my 2012 15" MBP.

Thanks for you input. As by "slowly-slowing" It should have been "slowly-dying" haha - think it's coming to the end of it's life. Beachballs, fans rear up more often, the SSD health is "poor" and the display has a tiny crack and a couple of dead pixels. Not much life left in the battery too (but it has been used for nearly three years, day in day out!).

1. No. Yes.
2. Difference is night and day. Performance and display of rMBP runs CIRCLES around the MBA.
3. Yes. Ecstatic.

Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

I think I am going to go for the latest rMBP. I like the idea of having more power and only really sacrificing a little additional weight and thickness.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think I am going to go for the latest rMBP. I like the idea of having more power and only really sacrificing a little additional weight and thickness.

My Saddleback leather sleeve for my MBA fits my 13" rMBP great, and so does my booq Viper hard case. So I scored there.

The rMBP is a little ticker on one end (the other is almost the same) and has a smaller footprint than the MBA. Oddly enough.

The retina screen is worth the price of admission.

I also went with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD because, well, I could. Not an option on the MBA.

My MBA was no slouch. But I don't miss it one bit.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
1. No. Yes.
3. Yes. Ecstatic.

Curious, did you move from the 11 Air or the 13? I only ask because I love the compact size of the 11. When a 13 opens up next to me on a plane, it looks like a monster now. So if you went from a 13 air to a 13 MBP, it wouldn't seem as big of a leap as an 11 air to a 13 MBP.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Curious, did you move from the 11 Air or the 13? I only ask because I love the compact size of the 11. When a 13 opens up next to me on a plane, it looks like a monster now. So if you went from a 13 air to a 13 MBP, it wouldn't seem as big of a leap as an 11 air to a 13 MBP.

From the 13. The 11" was just too small for me. The 13" rMBP has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA, but nowhere near as compact as an 11".

The 11" is in a league of its own. Size and performance wise, your best bet would be a 12" rMB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.