Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I use it because it's nice to click a link and not have various flash videos or ads or etc. start randomly playing in the background making noise. Also, it's nice because you are able to download the video with an option in the right click context menu. Lastly, there's an option in the right click context menu to open the video in Quicktime player.

What albusseverus probably meant by "keep it pure" is that with clicktoplugin you are able to view many videos across the web using html5 instead of the default player when without clicktoplugin the html5 video option would have been unavailable to you (and only present on devices such as the iPad that lack flash player). Can you disable the flash plugin and just never use flash? Sure, but of course then it becomes a longer process when you encounter a video where flash is your only option to view. Clicktoplugin makes resorting back to flash if necessary as simple as one mouse click.

Ok, all valid points. I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

Like everybody I wish FLASH would die, but unfortunately many streaming sites are still FLASH ONLY based. I can't watch some sports events at all on an iPhone or iPad and Safari on Macs really no longer handles FLASH well anymore.

This I why I want Firefox on iPhone/iPad.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Every iOS browser uses the same WebKit. But other than that, all Chrome uses Blink.

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

To be clear, Chrome did use WebKit until April of 2013. And "Blink isn't an entirely new engine, but rather was forked from said WebKit engine.

Anyway, this can't be a problem with WebKit, as the problem can be fixed by simply changing the user agent string in the development menu (even identifying as an older version of Safari fixes it). My guess is that Google tried to implement the "advanced HTML5 video" (ie DRM) feature in Yosemite and failed.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Okay, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem.

To be clear, Chrome did use WebKit until April of 2013. And "Blink isn't an entirely new engine, but rather was forked from said WebKit engine.

Anyway, this can't be a problem with WebKit, as the problem can be fixed by simply changing the user agent string in the development menu (even identifying as an older version of Safari fixes it). My guess is that Google tried to implement the "advanced HTML5 video" (ie DRM) feature in Yosemite and failed.

That makes sense.

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
I've had the blocked Plug-in message come up on YouTube and Photobucket a few times over the past year. It seems to clear itself after several weeks, I believe when Flash Player updates to a version that is compatible. I've been about a month without Youtube or Photobucket now and I'm getting pretty impatient.

I read back a few pages and looks like the thing to try is to download this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37890/clicktoplugin

Will this create a click-to-plugin icon in my applications folder that I may drag to the trash if I want to delete it? ....or is it more complicated to get rid of click-to-plugin if it does not fix my problem?

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I've had the blocked Plug-in message come up on YouTube and Photobucket a few times over the past year. It seems to clear itself after several weeks, I believe when Flash Player updates to a version that is compatible. I've been about a month without Youtube or Photobucket now and I'm getting pretty impatient.

I read back a few pages and looks like the thing to try is to download this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37890/clicktoplugin

Will this create a click-to-plugin icon in my applications folder that I may drag to the trash if I want to delete it? ....or is it more complicated to get rid of click-to-plugin if it does not fix my problem?

youtube switched to is using html5 instead of flash. i don't have a problem

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Wow, thankyou for the super fast reply (like 25 seconds!).

I do not know what html5 is. How do I use and should I get rid of Flash Player?

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Wow, thankyou for the super fast reply (like 25 seconds!).

I do not know what html5 is. How do I use and should I get rid of Flash Player?

you don't do anything. that is done on youtube's end. they are now broadcasting their videos with html5 instead of flash. I would still keep flash updated cause many sites still use it. youtube/google decided to make a giant change and lead others by using html5

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
ok. So I ust keep waiting?

Thanks Lucas. Lets hope whatever fix html5 provides is a longterm fix.

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
you don't do anything. that is done on youtube's end. they are now broadcasting their videos with html5 instead of flash. I would still keep flash updated cause many sites still use it. youtube/google decided to make a giant change and lead others by using html5
bump.

I have to wait for Youtube? It seems like other Macs are using Youtube right now. What do I do so I can be like the rest of you guys, change to a browser other than Safari?

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
What albusseverus probably meant by "keep it pure" is that with clicktoplugin you are able to view many videos across the web using html5 instead of the default player

Hi, sorry I don't get back much. Keep it pure means NO FLASH ever.

I have 3 Macs, no Flash on any of them. Click-To-Plugin just forces HTML (if you set that), whereas Flash makes more money for a site if it can force it on you. Adobe is in the government tracking and profiling business - don't worry folks, it's only "ad-tracking"… read about it here.
Let me think, who would pay more for profiling data, advertisers or the NSA? Umm.

Jobs made sure Flash was eliminated from Mac OS as well as iOS. Mac OS no longer ships with Flash and no longer keeps it up to date automatically.

It's the reason I have a mortal fear of Kevin Lynch being at the heart of Apple technology. Apple may have been clean while Jobs was alive, but no more. Flash, the unluckiest software of all, so many security holes, it can't be an accident.

Cheers

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Just downloaded clicktoplugin from the page you linked. It is in my Downloads box but I do not see it n my applications folder. Still have blocked plugin message on Youtube vids.

I do not think I have Yosemite. I believe it is Snow Leopard. OS X version 10.6.8 could that be why click to plug-in is not working?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just downloaded clicktoplugin from the page you linked. It is in my Downloads box but I do not see it n my applications folder. Still have blocked plugin message on Youtube vids.

I do not think I have Yosemite. I believe it is Snow Leopard. OS X version 10.6.8 could that be why click to plug-in is not working?

Click to plugin isn't an application, it's a Safari extension. I don't think it's going to show up in your applications folder. Just install it by double clicking and check safari to make sure it installed properly.

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks, Michael. That seems to work. There is a delay to load the video now but it works! Embedded videos seem to load and then stop after a few seconds but if I can watch uninterrupted on Youtube, that is a lot better than not watching at all.

Now what if I want to uninstall click-to plugin?

MacMythos

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
Now it quit working. The blocked plugin message comes up again. I downloaded click-to-plugin a second time and installed it but to no avail.

At this point, I think I'd like to just quit. Do I need to uninstall click-to plugin or can I just delete it from my Downloads menu and it's gone?

heathf

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
Dear Apple,
I know you don't read these groups (maybe so) but could you please stop putting stuff out that just breaks other stuff? I mean can't you just check it out better first? Hhhhhhhh your reputation is at stake here and I am embarrassed for you. :eek: I LOVE you Apple but C'mon ppl!

As a software engineer I can tell you that it's literally impossible to test something as complex as an operating system to the point that there are no bugs at all. Especially when you're talking about issues with 3rd party websites and software. Bugs are going to make it to the public even though Apple runs tens of thousands of automated & unit tests against every build, and has hundreds of manual testers performing regression on the releases. If bugs become habitual then obviously there's a deeper issue in the development process, but overall I'd say they're pretty solid. I know it may not seem it, but expecting totally bug free code out of a piece of software as large as OS X is not only unreasonable, it's unattainable.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks, Michael. That seems to work. There is a delay to load the video now but it works! Embedded videos seem to load and then stop after a few seconds but if I can watch uninterrupted on Youtube, that is a lot better than not watching at all.

Now what if I want to uninstall click-to plugin?

I forgot to answer this a long time ago. Safari > Preferences > Extensions. It should be an option when you click on the extension you want to remove on the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.