Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stairway

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I'm running OS X 10.10.3 on my 2013 Mac Pro. I recently bought a Dell 5K display (UP2715K), and have it connected up to the Mac Pro.

I can do the "Hold option while clicking scaled" bit, and see/select the 5K resolution option. As this is way too small for my use, I went back to the System Pref Display section. I get the various scale options from "Larger Text" up to "More Space". I select the option that displays as "Looks like 2560x1440". My understanding is that all this does is to basically zoom the full screen so that the desktop looks like a 2560x1440 screen would.

However, if I go into the System Report "Graphics/Displays" section, the resolution shows as 2560x1440 instead of the 5K resolution... Is this normal? An OS X bug? Am I misunderstanding what the scaled resolution actually is/does?

Thanks in advance for an explanation..

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I'm running OS X 10.10.3 on my 2013 Mac Pro. I recently bought a Dell 5K display (UP2715K), and have it connected up to the Mac Pro.

I can do the "Hold option while clicking scaled" bit, and see/select the 5K resolution option. As this is way too small for my use, I went back to the System Pref Display section. I get the various scale options from "Larger Text" up to "More Space". I select the option that displays as "Looks like 2560x1440". My understanding is that all this does is to basically zoom the full screen so that the desktop looks like a 2560x1440 screen would.

However, if I go into the System Report "Graphics/Displays" section, the resolution shows as 2560x1440 instead of the 5K resolution... Is this normal? An OS X bug? Am I misunderstanding what the scaled resolution actually is/does?

Thanks in advance for an explanation..

its normal.

it's like retina mode on iphone, everything is rendered in 2x size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.