Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Hello to all,

I would like to share with you a gift, not a big deal, it's a screensaver I created earlier today. It is free for download and use for your Mac(s).

It's name is C11 - Reflip and you can get it from the following link:
http://www.screenclocksaver.com/store/product/c11-reflip-mac-edition/
(Add it to cart and then checkout, you'll get the link to download at your email)

It's video preview is uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KFbOVuado

As a small favor I would like some comments and/or screenshots on Macs that running it at 4K or above (5K or even 8K in the future). At this moment I can't run my Mac Pro at this resolutions (yet), but soon I hope so.

Thanks in advance and I hope you like it.
Cheers!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Very nice! I've ordered and will download when I get off work this evening. I have an Ultra HD screen, though my main tower is a Hack, not a Mac Pro. Hope this doesn't affect much, I'll still submit some pictures!

Thanks!

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
It's OK, also if someone has an iMac with 5K resolution, is welcome as a tester.
Cheers!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
It certainly works at 5k (and still does whether the screen is set to 3200x1800, native, or 6400x3600).

The animation is a bit laboured and jerky, even with the 295x, in particular the first one where the time is set correctly after displaying another time first.

And as far as comments are concerned, my main one is that it isn't a screen saver and so I won't be using it. Surely you could reduce the size slightly and have it very slowly move around the screen, making it a useful program rather than one that specifically creates burn-in?

Other than that, I find the seconds animation slightly unconvincing. Perhaps it needs a line through the centre like the hours and seconds have. And the reflection is slightly banded rather than being a smooth gradient.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh... I do like it otherwise...

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Screenshot on my UHD monitor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 10.14.37 PM (3).png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 10.14.37 PM (3).png
    298.8 KB · Views: 99

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
It certainly works at 5k (and still does whether the screen is set to 3200x1800, native, or 6400x3600).

The animation is a bit laboured and jerky, even with the 295x, in particular the first one where the time is set correctly after displaying another time first.

Thanks a lot for the test! Probably cause the animation fps is set to 30fps, the reason is the compatibility and appearance on older machines too. The opening/start goes from 11:59:59 to your current local time, this is typical and designed like that.

And as far as comments are concerned, my main one is that it isn't a screen saver and so I won't be using it. Surely you could reduce the size slightly and have it very slowly move around the screen, making it a useful program rather than one that specifically creates burn-in?

My main goal was and still is, to create clocks as screen savers, if you see on the website, there are some others with animated backgrounds and textures. Flat panels of the recent years aren't affected by burn-in as far as I know.
Making a screen saver to move from one corner to another, would be for me like using Windows XP and having it's clock or logo "dancing" around. Not my taste :)

Other than that, I find the seconds animation slightly unconvincing. Perhaps it needs a line through the centre like the hours and seconds have. And the reflection is slightly banded rather than being a smooth gradient.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh... I do like it otherwise...

Maybe you're right about the seconds animation, needs the separator as is on the other 2 panels. The reflection to my monitors seems as a smooth gradient, it is actually designed as a smooth linear gradient. Maybe it's a wrong Gamma setting on your screen or something else? I will check it out again for sure.

I like the constructive criticism! This is what make us better :) Thanks a lot for your time and you're welcome to try an updated version of the file if/when is released!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Here it is on my 30” ACD no lag and looks nice. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.32.35.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.32.35.png
    177 KB · Views: 96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.