Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Wow...just a reminder of the very real dangers that go along with being a journalist. :(

Jan. 29, 2006 — - "World News Tonight" co-anchor Bob Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt are recovering from injuries suffered when their convoy was hit by an improvised explosive devise in Iraq today.

They remain in serious but stable condition following surgery at a U.S. military hospital in Iraq and will be treated at a medical facility in Germany.

The two and an Iraqi soldier were seriously injured when their convoy was attacked near Taji, Iraq, about 12 miles north of Baghdad. Woodruff and Vogt suffered shrapnel wounds and underwent surgery at the U.S. military hospital in Balad.

Both suffered head injuries and Woodruff also suffered wounds to his upper body. They were flown to the U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, and doctors there will assess their condition and monitor their recovery in the coming days.

"We take this as good news, but the next few days will be critical," ABC News President David Westin said in a statement.
Like many others, I'll be praying for their recovery.

Link

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Someone oughta investigate Elizabeth Vargas and see if she had anything to do with it... ;)

Seriously, though, hope they all come out of this OK. And don't forget about all of the servicemen and women who are there ALL the time... they face danger every day, not just when they visit for a few days from the US.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Thomas Veil said:
Wow...just a reminder of the very real dangers that go along with being a journalist. :(
More specifically, it's the danger of being a journalist in a country with guerilla fighting where both civilians and soldiers are targets. I doubt there have been many cases of journalists driving down the street in London/New York/Chicago/etc. and having their car hit by an IED.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Sad to hear, hope both make it through.

Though I am tired of the coverage of their injuries. Many more are injured and killed, both civilian and military - and they only get a mention by numbers of wounded and killed in attacks that day.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sad to hear, hope both make it through.

Though I am tired of the coverage of their injuries. Many more are injured and killed, both civilian and military - and they only get a mention by numbers of wounded and killed in attacks that day.

Yeah, I thought the GMA coverage this morning was lame. I turned it off it was so annoying.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
For two days straight, NBC gushed for like forever, like this was the only news of the day.

Probably just waiting for the next coal mine disaster to beat to death.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
As with all media death and destruction is better to report then health and good things that should happen around the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.