Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I think 8MP is plenty "big" enough. Just keep working to improve the quality of photo. Taking 21 MP photos with your phone...what good does that do? The vast majority of people just post pics to facebook or twitter anyways. Who needs 13, 21, or 40 MP photos. But we all want better quality photos.

Downsampling, baby, downsampling.

bob.vicktor

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
We took the one thing you love about iPhone and doubled it. Introducing the iPhone 6S+, now with double protruding camera lenses.

street.cory, I understand the humor, but I'm just wondering if you understood what this following quote means:

Corephotonics' system takes advantage of two lenses with separate focal lengths, switching between lenses to magnify distant subjects without the need for a traditional zoom.

I'm not trying to hate, I'm just trying to point out that there is hope. If you don't know how cameras work let me explain some basics. A lens zooms in and out by moving the lens forward and back (the rest is magic so don't worry about that right now; unless you really want to know, that is what the internet is for). So, why does the iPhone 6 camera stick out? Because it has to have enough space to move in and out in order to zoom. Now, I am reading into to things and I can't say I'm right, but I'm guessing that if there is going to be a two lens system on the 6s then one of the possible goals is to do what the corephotonics people are doing. If the one lens is short sighted and the second lens is long sighted, then they don't need to move in and out so much in order to zoom (if at all), meaning that they can get rid of the protruding lens. Now that would be something to love.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
street.cory, I understand the humor, but I'm just wondering if you understood what this following quote means:

I'm not trying to hate, I'm just trying to point out that there is hope. If you don't know how cameras work let me explain some basics. A lens zooms in and out by moving the lens forward and back (the rest is magic so don't worry about that right now; unless you really want to know, that is what the internet is for). So, why does the iPhone 6 camera stick out? Because it has to have enough space to move in and out in order to zoom. Now, I am reading into to things and I can't say I'm right, but I'm guessing that if there is going to be a two lens system on the 6s then one of the possible goals is to do what the corephotonics people are doing. If the one lens is short sighted and the second lens is long sighted, then they don't need to move in and out so much in order to zoom (if at all), meaning that they can get rid of the protruding lens. Now that would be something to love.

The lens inside the phone move forward and back to focus.. Not Zoom. Otherwise we would have optical zoom, not digital.

bob.vicktor

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
The lens inside the phone move forward and back to focus.. Not Zoom. Otherwise we would have optical zoom, not digital.

Ah, yes. You're right, sorry. In a normal camera with optical zoom it moves, the phone does not. Thank you for clearing that up. But anyway, the same can be applied to the focus. So instead of zoom read focus in my last post. ;) The result is the same, though. A thinner camera.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Queue the "I dont want more MP, I want IQ". posts.

Queue "ugh, we need more storage capacity then" posts.

I personally would like an Image Sensor close to the level of a DSLR, 10+mp with improved IQ, HDR, Aperture, etc. Would also love the options to shoot in a Low, Med, High level of JPG quality and un/compressed files too.
Sensor size would have to quadruple in size... and there is not room for that.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Here's my idea for how to add a supercamera to iPhone:

r7gDpBH.jpg

The 'iZoom Photo Chamber' features an optical zoom lens with at least 10x power.

Anyone can use this idea if they pay me $1.00 for every phone sold. :D

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Here's my idea for how to add a supercamera to iPhone:

The 'iZoom Photo Chamber' features an optical zoom lens with at least 10x power.

Anyone can use this idea if they pay me $1.00 for every phone sold. :D

Apply for the patent.

(I'm serious, though it would add to the dimension of any phone and likely reduce battery / circuitry size)

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Apply for the patent.

(I'm serious, though it would add to the dimension of any phone and likely reduce battery / circuitry size)

Pfft. As much as I think that I am clever, I'm sure I can't be the first to have thought of it; this has been thought of and through by people far smarter than me. An idea this obvious would have been done already if it could be done.

Besides, I'm Canadian. We don't do patents. :D

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Pfft. As much as I think that I am clever, I'm sure I can't be the first to have thought of it; this has been thought of and through by people far smarter than me. An idea this obvious would have been done already if it could be done.

Besides, I'm Canadian. We don't do patents. :D

I'm Canuck and I brought up the patent idea :p

no one said we can't also have a little greed in us!

I have thought of ti before, but I don't know the practicality behind such. however, given how we're constantly trying to make things thinner, you'd still run into an issue with a sideway sensor needing a device thick enough for the sensor size. at 6mm thin, I don't think the current crop of devices would be able to handle this

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'm Canuck and I brought up the patent idea :p

no one said we can't also have a little greed in us!

I have thought of ti before, but I don't know the practicality behind such. however, given how we're constantly trying to make things thinner, you'd still run into an issue with a sideway sensor needing a device thick enough for the sensor size. at 6mm thin, I don't think the current crop of devices would be able to handle this

Well, okay then. You're officially a partner. I'd be happy to sell this to Apple for a modest sum, and we can go splitsies. :)

LudwigZildjian

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
NY
I personally would love to see a camera that shoots 12+ MP with better image quality. My only complaint is, when the camera is fully zoomed, it's very blurred, but with no zoom, it takes stunning photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.