Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
Hi,

Well I've identified my iPhone as GSM, being A1457 according to Appple.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

Model number on the back cover:

A1533 or A1457 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model)
A1533 or A1453: iPhone 5s (CDMA model)
A1518 or A1528 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model China)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

Since I have a 8G/month connection, I was going to download the IPSW file to install on my iPhone and since it's a GSM, I would need to install the iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw, according to OSXDaily, but here comes my doubt. When I've upgraded from iOS7 to iOS8, I've downloaded the IPSW from a different site where there was the link to download a 5S IPSW and it wasn't written whether it was a GSM or CDMA, so I did that upgrade, but checking my backup files on another disk, I've noticed that the file for iOS8 was called iPhone6,2_8.0.....

So, basically, have I installed CDMA 6,2 over GSM 6,1 and now I need to update with GSM 6,1?

I'm pretty confused here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not let iTunes do it all for you since it will download what you need and install it?

Beyond that, if you try to install an incompatible version you'll get an error, so you can get one or two and try out which one will get installed (which will be the right one).

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
Why not let iTunes do it all for you since it will download what you need and install it?

Beyond that, if you try to install an incompatible version you'll get an error, so you can get one or two and try out which one will get installed (which will be the right one).

Because I have no GB left on my mobile connection and I don't have an unlimited broadband at the moment. Still, you said that I should have got an error if the firmware was wrong, but how come my iPhone is identified as GSM 6,1 and I managed to install 6,2 firmware on it when upgraded from 7 to iOS8. Just want a clarification, that's all.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.