Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Anyone know how to fix this?

If I enter Time Machine, the initial finder window is fine and I can see the contents, but if I scroll back, each finder window is just black.

Time machine is showing that it has created the backups, and if I go into Finder outside of Time Machine, I can access each backup that has been made.

Strange.

Reactions: EssentialGadget

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I have the same issues, I'm hoping it's fixed along with numerous other Mavericks issues soon.

I noticed it a few days back and feel better I'm not alone.

hijonathan

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
You have to first open the sparse disk image

I had the same issue as well. In the past, time machine backups were simple folders in my external drive. Now, they're all inside of a sparse disk image, and for some reason, clicking "Enter Time Machine" doesn't open that image.

Anyway, the fix is to go into your external drive and manually open (double-click) the sparse disk image (your backup). Then enter time machine.

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I had the same issue as well. In the past, time machine backups were simple folders in my external drive. Now, they're all inside of a sparse disk image, and for some reason, clicking "Enter Time Machine" doesn't open that image.

Anyway, the fix is to go into your external drive and manually open (double-click) the sparse disk image (your backup). Then enter time machine.

That does the trick! Thanks for that. Hope Apple come up with a permanent fix soon though, and also get the icon spinning again.

Darryllesch

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
Hi Iam having the same issue, I directly went into my time capsule and double clicked on my back and it mounted into my finder, but when I reload time machine all pink dates are still showing black screens. Any other suggestions or I am doing something wrong?

user92837423

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
sparse disk image solution works but only until restart

I have the same problem described by RatHat, and the solution posted by hijonathan works but only until I restart my computer. After restarting the computer Time Machine continues to show black screens after the initial screen until the sparse disk image is manually opened again. How do I resolve this permanently?

searching-again

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
USA
Anyone know how to fix this?

If I enter Time Machine, the initial finder window is fine and I can see the contents, but if I scroll back, each finder window is just black.

Time machine is showing that it has created the backups, and if I go into Finder outside of Time Machine, I can access each backup that has been made.

Strange.

Same problem here.

Dinky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Restore not working

Is there a solution to this problem ? The fix mentioned does not work for me. I still get the blank screen. Additionally, positioning Finder on the folder I am interested in prior to entering TM does not work either. It will always jump to my home folder before starting TM. Looking at the sparse bundle makes me worried a little bit, because I have not been able to detect any backup files as yet. The backup log shows no problems, though, so I guess (hope) backing up is working, but I am not sure. In any case it does not really make a difference if restore is not working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.