Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Probably worth completely erasing the HDD, recreating the HFS+ partition and trying again. If that fails, then it's likely a hardware issue. Oh and make sure the scheme is set to APM. If it's an old PC HDD it might be set as MBR.

Hello, MagicBoy.

I'll try that. I had already completely erased it and left it blank without reformatting it, but I believe it was kept as MBR.

I only have a Windows machine accessible to erase and format the drive. How would I go about setting it to APM without a Mac? Is that possible? 3rd party program?

Thanks,
-Hunter

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Try holding down C while booting to force a boot from the optical drive.

Once it boots, use disk utility to format the drive as HFS+/APM.

If you still have install issues, I'd suspect a bad hard drive. I've had drives that appear okay at first, but have serious issues once I start dumping data on them. Most of the ones I've had these sort of issues with have been Maxtor, although the problem probably isn't exclusive to them. One of the most painful ones was a 250gb Maxtor IDE hard drive, that, again, would format fine and show no issues. When I would start cloning onto it with CCC, it would go great at first, then slow to a crawl and finally stop before CCC would throw out an error. Attempting to repair the drive would give multiple unrepairable errors. Formatting it again would clear them all, only to give the same error. I finally put a couple of 170gr Keith-type slugs out a 357 Magnum through it to solve the problem for good :) .

----------

Hello, MagicBoy.

I'll try that. I had already completely erased it and left it blank without reformatting it, but I believe it was kept as MBR.

I only have a Windows machine accessible to erase and format the drive. How would I go about setting it to APM without a Mac? Is that possible? 3rd party program?

Thanks,
-Hunter

You show an iBook G4 in post #4-I'd suggest using that with an external hard drive adapter/enclosure(USB ones are cheap on Ebay, Firewire ones are a bit more expensive but are handy with Macs).

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
To be honest, the best way I've found of wiping a drive of partitioning information is a the clean command in the diskpart utility that ships with Windows! Works a treat for recycled drives that Disk utility can get a bit sniffy about as it nukes any trace of the partitioning scheme and hidden sectors etc. Apologies to the PowerPC hardcore that this may offend. ;)

As for setting APM on the Mac - Disk Utility is accessible via the Utilities menu when you boot off the Tiger install media. Click the Options box on the partition tab and check APM is set there.

Jump to Step 4 here : https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=HDDppcintelformat/HDDppcintelformat.html

Last edited:

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Once it boots, use disk utility to format the drive as HFS+/APM.
As for setting APM on the Mac - Disk Utility is accessible via the Utilities menu when you boot off the Tiger install media. Click the Options box on the partition tab and check APM is set there.

bunnspecial and MagicBoy,

That's what I thought, but it doesn't appear that I have the 'Options' box.

I also ran a disk check and found no issues.

Thanks,
-Hunter

Attachments

• Photo Apr 11, 9 44 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 11, 9 44 10 PM.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
  • Photo Apr 11, 9 48 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 11, 9 48 31 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I turned the G5 off for a few minutes and came back to it. I turned it on, this time I didn't get a startup chime, but I got video. Unfortunately it only showed the 'No OS' flashing icon, once again.

Try going to Disk Utility in OS X Installer and select the drive itself on the sidebar (not a partition). Now name the drive and hit erase. After it formats re-run the installation.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Hello, all.

I took your advice, and everything works!

Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks,
-Hunter

P.S.
Where could I find some decent software (preferably free) for the G5?
I've since updated to 10.4.11

Attachments

• Photo Apr 11, 11 09 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 11, 11 09 46 PM.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo Apr 11, 11 37 15 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 11, 11 37 15 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.