Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Hi, maybe be this is a silly or dumb question, but i couldnt find the answer on google or anything else.

How do i type this key is my Macbook Pro: the Apostrophe key (')

I have this keyboard on my mac :
2hcmem9.jpg

And i guess the apostrophe key is the one that is on the side to the Return key? this one (´) but as you can see, its a different apostrophe than the first one (') and every time i want to type a word like: don´t google correct me: Did you mean: don't

What key did all of you press to get this apostrophe (') instead of this (´) ?

Thanks and sorry for my silly question.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I think if you use a US keyboard and have the input source set to Spanish ISO, it will give you the non-ASCII apostrophe. If you set it to US, you will get an apostrophe, but will need to use modifiers to get ñ ¡ etc.

´´´

No need for modifiers to get ñ, just long-press on the n key and you should get a pop-up to select which 'n' you want.

My keyboard doesn't look physically different from the OP's, this ' is the key next to return and this ` is the key next to 1.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Im still getting ´ :(

Im wondering, what kind of apostrophe did all of you get pressing this key?:

71h5km.jpg

Is it just my Macbook Pro 2014? or am i missing something here?

----------

By the way, my input source,, under Keyboard setting, looks like this:

wkpsp0.jpg

Is this the right setting?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
In the Keyboard pane of System Preferences, click the Text item in the bar (Keyboard | Text | Shortcuts | Input Sources), and post a screenshot. I think this will show the "Smart Quotes" option you have selected.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hi chown33, this is what i have :

Uncheck "Use smart quotes and dashes".

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like you have "curly" quotes selected for both options.

As a test, also disable the first item in your replacement list. That looks like it will replace a right curly double-quote with a right curly single-quote.

----------

Is there a Smart Quotes setting that gives acute accents? I'm wondering if the settings are different for different language settings.

I don't know, but the OP's previous screen shot shows a US keyboard setting.

We may need additional details from the OP, in addition to primary language setting.

Another test: Create a new account. Login to it. Keep all the default settings. Does it show the same problem? Does setting the primary language to US English change the problem?

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Hi.

I created a new test account, logged out of my account and log into the new one, and it worked! i got the regular apostrophe (') instead of this one (´)

But when i logged out and return to my administrador account still getting the ´apostrophe :(

The problem here is i have all my programs, my settings and everything in my administrator account... how can i transfer all my settings, programs etc, to the second account i just created? Or what can i do to get the normal apostrophe on my main account... do i have to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall everything? i can do it, but it is a very long process, reinstalling everything etc... and i prefer to avoid it :(

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hi.

I created a new test account, logged out of my account and log into the new one, and it worked! i got the regular apostrophe (') instead of this one (´)

Good.

This shows the problem is confined to a single account, and isn't system-wide. That's the only result I was interested in from this test.

But when i logged out and return to my administrador account still getting the ´apostrophe :(
Did you do either of the actions I posted in post #11?

Did you uncheck smart Quotes?
Did you delete or disable the first item listed in your replacement list?

If you didn't do either of those things, then you shouldn't expect any change.

If you did both of those things, then please say so, so we know exactly what you did. Otherwise all we can do is guess or assume, neither of which are accurate.

The problem here is i have all my programs, my settings and everything in my administrator account... how can i transfer all my settings, programs etc, to the second account i just created? Or what can i do to get the normal apostrophe on my main account... do i have to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall everything? i can do it, but it is a very long process, reinstalling everything etc... and i prefer to avoid it :(
One step at a time. You're getting way ahead of things here.

Try the things posted in post #11. Report back on exactly what you did, maybe even posting another screenshot showing those things turned off.

This isn't magic. We have to systematically try things. And you have to tell us exactly what you tried or didn't try at each step.

You should also answer the questions asked of you. Please tell us what your primary language is. Is it US English? Something else?

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Sorry for answering too late, but i was tired of this problem and i made a clean install. Reformatted the whole computer, reinstalled OsX Yosemite using internet recovery, reinstalled all my apps, transfer tons of pictures back to my Macbook Pro and tons of mp3's and everything is working great now!

i have my apostrophe's back :D

I gues i'll never know what app, or what setting was causing this problem exactly. But after all, my Macbook Pro is working like it should be now :cool:

Thank you everybody for you help, this is why i love this forum, because when i need help, i got it here and you expect nothing but a generous thanks.

I Love :apple: and i love Macrumors! :)

Thanks again

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
This could have been so easy if you had listened to Chown33's advice. It would have taken less than 10 seconds to make the adjustment and move on.

I've never understood people who ask for help, but aren't willing to wait a while for a response and then actually do what is advised. Instead heading straight to the nuclear option of erase & re-install. Inevitably, these are the same people who always need help, because they aren't willing to learn anything.

Reactions: TheralSadurns
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.