Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Streaming iTunes music to my Roku via the Plex iTunes channel is still very bad. Hopefully, this fixes it but I'm doubtful since the Roku support from Plex seems to be pretty bad (Note - I'm not sure who's at fault (Plex or Roku)).

It's the ability to load Plex media on a device so you can watch it off-line (no connection to your server).

I don't really mess with the music on Plex and my Roku. I just really like Plex for watching online channels. I can catch all the stuff on CBS.com and a whole slew of HGTV stuff, Nerdist videos, etc for 100% free. Don't really use it much to stream my own stuff actually, I use the AppleTV for that.

Not sure if Plex Pass is really for me. Maybe to play it on PS4 or Xbox... but that seems like a waste since the Media server works on the PS3 as well.

Thanks for the info.

trnet

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
After many years of trying a hacked ATV1 & ATV2, ATV3, Samsung SmartTV DVD, LG thingy and others I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Roku from the US. There's no support in Australia for the Roku but an international power adapter did the trick. Now I just use the Roku Plex app via a Mac Mini with Plex Server.

The problem is I need the ATV3 for iTunes movies and music, the Samsung for ABC iView and a set-top box for cable.

If a company could design a set-top box for all these features, they would clean up ... especially in Australia. I imagine the US would be closer to a complete solution but Australia and other countries always suffer due to geoblocking, copyright limits and 110v vs. 240v.

An updated ATV4 with Cable login via AppleID, an app store for things like ABC iView and Plex would be that killer product everyone is waiting for. Somehow though, I don't think Plex will ever be allowed on the ATV. The trailer hack might be a solution albeit with a mediocre UI. BTW, the Plex UI is appalling on a Samsung Smart TV as it is maintained as a hobby by a solo developer.

Surely, there is a solution coming considering there is such a massive potential user base?

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Is that the ability to stream my media anywhere outside of my home? I wish it came with the iOS app.

The sync feature (make files available for offline play) is available in the iOS app.

----------

The problem is I need the ATV3 for iTunes movies and music, the Samsung for ABC iView and a set-top box for cable.

If you're running a Mac Mimi 24/7 already, have a look at PlexConnect, it enables Plex on your non-jailbroken ATV3 ;)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
After many years of trying a hacked ATV1 & ATV2, ATV3, Samsung SmartTV DVD, LG thingy and others I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Roku from the US. There's no support in Australia for the Roku but an international power adapter did the trick. Now I just use the Roku Plex app via a Mac Mini with Plex Server.

If a company could design a set-top box for all these features, they would clean up ... especially in Australia. I imagine the US would be closer to a complete solution but Australia and other countries always suffer due to geoblocking, copyright limits and 110v vs. 240v.

An updated ATV4 with Cable login via AppleID, an app store for things like ABC iView and Plex would be that killer product everyone is waiting for. Somehow though, I don't think Plex will ever be allowed on the ATV. The trailer hack might be a solution albeit with a mediocre UI. BTW, the Plex UI is appalling on a Samsung Smart TV as it is maintained as a hobby by a solo developer.

Surely, there is a solution coming considering there is such a massive potential user base?

There is an iTunes music channel in Plex. You can also put iTunes movies and TV on your Plex server..

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I love Plex on my Roku... but I still don't understand the benefits of Plex Pass.

Managed accounts was one of the big ones for me. But the biggest benefit I saw was that Plex seems to be good software worth paying a little for. It for me has been a fantastic way to manage media.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Managed accounts was one of the big ones for me. But the biggest benefit I saw was that Plex seems to be good software worth paying a little for. It for me has been a fantastic way to manage media.

Ah I just found out that my Roku streaming of web media via Plex was a limited trial. So I see it would be used for things like THAT and the app coming for PS4 and Xbox One... Though I can still use the web media streaming on my PS3 with no issue using DNLA.

I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of guy so if I buy in I'd get the $150 lifetime. But this is why I wasn't sure what I'd be spending my money on since I seemed to already get all the features I cared about on Roku (not knowing that I was on a trial)

Still not entirely sure if it's worth the $150 though for Plex Pass... I need to look into this more.

Thank for all the help!

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
One of the best things on Amazon Fire TV. It's a shame though Apple still uses DRM in iTunes visual content. Tried watching existing TV shows with Plex, and kept getting "This video cannot be played".

DRM sucks and needs to go.

----------

You can also put iTunes movies and TV on your Plex server..

Nope. "This video cannot be played".

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
This is literally the only reason I don't even consider getting an AppleTV. I'm sure I'd love what else it has to offer, but this is a deal-breaker for me that keeps me away.

I like my Apple TV - and the Plex setup was really easy - just followed the instructions and have access to my Plex library and all the channels I installed too.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
That will only play audio. If you want iTunes video on Plex, you have to rip it and add it to your Plex library..

There's a video one you can install too, unless its been removed.... but there definately was one. I used it all the time for a while.

absessive

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Plex is pretty great, I just wish AppleTV had a built in App for it (rather than needing to use Airplay from iPhone/iPad)

I love Plex and its the primary reason I'm using a Roku and not an AppleTV. Really wish that Apple would get a Plex app. This could possible kill many streaming media boxes, possibly cut the Chromecast market too.

:apple:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I love Plex and its the primary reason I'm using a Roku and not an AppleTV. Really wish that Apple would get a Plex app. This could possible kill many streaming media boxes, possibly cut the Chromecast market too.

:apple:

How is the Roku 3 for Plex? I would jump for joy if the AppleTV would have a native Plex app.

But as it is I've been trying to decide what I would like to do about a TV streaming device, I've been looking at the Roku, FireTV, even Intel NUC's, Rasp Pi 2 B, Intel Compute Stick, etc... We have a mac mini server in the basement for our Plex server, But we want something simple for our TV to connect with. Having a built in App is a big requirement, neither my wife or I like having to use a phone/tablet to connect and stream the media. (annoying to us, and I don't want to hand my phone to my nieces and nephews when they come over)
We have an xbox 360, but the Plex UI on that feels clunky, and subpar.

absessive

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Boston, MA
How is the Roku 3 for Plex? I would jump for joy if the AppleTV would have a native Plex app.

But as it is I've been trying to decide what I would like to do about a TV streaming device, I've been looking at the Roku, FireTV, even Intel NUC's, Rasp Pi 2 B, Intel Compute Stick, etc... We have a mac mini server in the basement for our Plex server, But we want something simple for our TV to connect with. Having a built in App is a big requirement, neither my wife or I like having to use a phone/tablet to connect and stream the media. (annoying to us, and I don't want to hand my phone to my nieces and nephews when they come over)
We have an xbox 360, but the Plex UI on that feels clunky, and subpar.

The main reason I'm using the Roku 3 is for Plex! With Roku + Plex all my streaming needs (as of now) are satisfied.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
The main reason I'm using the Roku 3 is for Plex! With Roku + Plex all my streaming needs (as of now) are satisfied.

I actually went and got a R3 a couple weeks ago now, and have really liked it. I like headphone port on the remote, and I like that the remote doesn't need to be line of site, picture quality is good. I have all my media streamable to it... In short I was cautious at first but now our Apple TV hasn't hardly even been touched.

One note I will say is that I'm glad I am a Plex subscriber because having access to the preview of the next plex app on Roku is very much nicer than the standard app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.