Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have been looking into Samsung devices, both tablets and phones. I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition but even though I like a lot of things about it (especially the S-Pen) it has some pretty serious battery issues (dropped 15% between midnight and 9 this morning while idle); something keeps it awake, even with all stock apps (18h awake out of 20h total and 1h screen on time). I have also read a LOT of battery issue reports on other Samsung tablets as well, including the new Tab S.

So I was wondering if the Note series of phones have any major issues that people here have witnessed. I don't think there is enough difference between the Note 3 and Note 4 to justify the 4's extra cost to me. I wanted an iPhone 6+ but my eyes have never been all that good and I have had a lot of trouble reading the thin fonts ever since iOS 7 (and yes, I know about the settings to change to larger fonts, bold, higher contrast, etc). I currently have an LG G2 and the browsers (both the default and chrome) have settings that make reading enjoyable; I MUCH prefer reading websites such as MacRumors on my LG G2 over my iPad Mini 2 (which I love in every other way).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
In my personal experience the Note 4 provides an incredible amount of functionality over the iPhone, but it sacrifices a lot in basic quality and has many more issues. I've gone through 7 of them trying to find a decent one, but I haven't. With that said I accept the downgrade in quality and would never switch away from the Note 4 to anything else, it just has so much functionality that literally no other phone has (except in some ways the S6 or older note versions).

IMO the Note 3 was a higher quality phone, it was just more solid and I didn't have nearly as many issues. You can get them on swappa for like $200 bucks, an incredible bargain for what you are getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.