Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
After updating Yosemite 10.10.2 to .3, my Seagate Expansion USB3.0 Hard Drive doesn't sleep anymore after 3 minutes of non use like it did before, although it does sleep when I put my 2014 Mac mini to sleep.
Anyone else notice this?

hjalte

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
After updating Yosemite 10.10.2 to .3, my Seagate Expansion USB3.0 Hard Drive doesn't sleep anymore after 3 minutes of non use like it did before, although it does sleep when I put my 2014 Mac mini to sleep.
Anyone else notice this?

I have a Toshiba External drive.
After updating to 10.10.3 I have problems with the drive shutting off.
Maybe related?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I have a Toshiba External drive.
After updating to 10.10.3 I have problems with the drive shutting off.
Maybe related?

Maybe. I called Apple's tech support and they told me they never heard of the problem. They had me do a SMC reset but that didn't work. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I haven't had a drive that sleeps since moving to Yosemite. That includes FireWire and Thunderbolt. Don't use USB but most have sleep in the firmware and I would think they'd be ok.

All spinners are Hitachi/HGST. All enclosures are OWC. One of those could be my issue.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I haven't had a drive that sleeps since moving to Yosemite. That includes FireWire and Thunderbolt. Don't use USB but most have sleep in the firmware and I would think they'd be ok.

All spinners are Hitachi/HGST. Could be the issue.

The Seagate has it built into the firmware. If there's no activity for 3 minutes, the drive spins down and the blue LED goes out. That must mean Yosemite is sending some sort of signal to the HD to keep it awake unlike what it did in previous versions of Yosemite, and Mavericks. Again, it does spin down when I sleep my Mac. Strange, isn't it.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
The Seagate has it built into the firmware. If there's no activity for 3 minutes, the drive spins down and the blue LED goes out. That must mean Yosemite is sending some sort of signal to the HD to keep it awake unlike what it did in previous versions of Yosemite, and Mavericks. Again, it does spin down when I sleep my Mac. Strange, isn't it.

Same with mine. Slept fine on all previous versions. When it comes to core functionality, nothing surprises me with Apple anymore. But I do have emoji's now.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Same with mine. Slept fine on all previous versions. When it comes to core functionality, nothing surprises me with Apple anymore. But I do have emoji's now.

So it's not just me. Hopefully Apple will get their act together and fix it in the next release. In the meantime my poor Seagate is spinning away needlessly.
As far as emoji's, I don't use them.

D.Dave

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
Near Seattle
Anyone else notice this?

My problem, like yours, started when I upgraded(?) from Snow Leopard to Yosemite 10.10.3. I have 5 external drives. The two WD My book drives behave as before and stay de-spun when not being used. My two 4TB Seagates in Voyager 'toaster' holders stay spun even when my Mac Pro is asleep. My 3TB Seagate in it's own enclosure stays spun while Mac Pro is awake, but spins down when computer is asleep.

If feels like many someones at Apple have missed the first rule of software development: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Many things have changed between Snow Leopard (a great OS) and Yosemite for no apparent reason.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
So it's not just me. Hopefully Apple will get their act together and fix it in the next release. In the meantime my poor Seagate is spinning away needlessly.

Actually, I believe that hard drives constantly spinning involves less wear and tear on the drives than regularly spinning up and spinning down..

D.Dave

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
Near Seattle
Actually, I believe that hard drives constantly spinning involves less wear and tear on the drives than regularly spinning up and spinning down..

Thanks for the info. I'm really more concerned about power consumption having so many drives running constantly, particularly when the computer is sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.