Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
I really love the new keyboard-- except for the "H" key.

Every other key works great, but the "H" doesn't register when I press it on the corners. I have to hit it right in the middle. Every other key, I can press the corner and it registers.

Is this a problem in general, or is it just my MacBook and I should return it for a new one?

Thanks!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I really love the new keyboard-- except for the "H" key.

Every other key works great, but the "H" doesn't register when I press it on the corners. I have to hit it right in the middle. Every other key, I can press the corner and it registers.

Is this a problem in general, or is it just my MacBook and I should return it for a new one?

Thanks!

Doesn't happen with mine. :eek:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Heck, even if this were a $600 generic laptop, I'd expect it not to do that. I tested all of my keys - they all seem to work fine.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
If the "H" key is different to the rest then there is something wrong. The new MacBook is priced as a premium Notebook, and as such should be perfect in all respects.

Q-6

I agree. If it were a $299 netbook I may live with it. Being sold as a premium ultraportable however, no way!

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Well unfortunately none of the stores around me have any in stock or have any for warranty replacement. Not sure what I should do. I'd really rather not ship this back and have to wait (again) for another one to arrive!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well unfortunately none of the stores around me have any in stock or have any for warranty replacement. Not sure what I should do. I'd really rather not ship this back and have to wait (again) for another one to arrive!

just wait a few days and then check your local apple store. Your warranty is good for a year.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
just wait a few days and then check your local apple store. Your warranty is good for a year.

Yeah I think that's my plan. It's just a pain because if I'm typing without thinking about it, the "H" registers about 50% of the time :/ oh well. Could be worse! I'll just wait for stock and deal with it for now.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Even if he bought online,can't he simply take back to a Apple store for a refund/exchange?

no. He can only do warranty replacements at apple. They will not refund you a purchase made a best buy.

----------

Yeah I think that's my plan. It's just a pain because if I'm typing without thinking about it, the "H" registers about 50% of the time :/ oh well. Could be worse! I'll just wait for stock and deal with it for now.

yeah, not normal. Anadtech even mentioned he had a 100% success rate with keys in his test.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
no. He can only do warranty replacements at apple. They will not refund you a purchase made a best buy.

----------

yeah, not normal. Anadtech even mentioned he had a 100% success rate with keys in his test.

I didn't get it from Best Buy, I got it from apple.com.

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
Someone else here was having problems with their keyboard - it was wobbly or something. If I remember correctly, they called Apple and Apple said they would ship him a new MacBook (although it might take a few weeks) but that he could keep his current (defective) MacBook and return it within 14 days of receiving the new one.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Someone else here was having problems with their keyboard - it was wobbly or something. If I remember correctly, they called Apple and Apple said they would ship him a new MacBook (although it might take a few weeks) but that he could keep his current (defective) MacBook and return it within 14 days of receiving the new one.

That's what OP should try to do.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Even if he bought online,can't he simply take back to a Apple store for a refund/exchange?

Where did it say he bought it a Best Buy?

----------

I didn't get it from Best Buy, I got it from apple.com.

I would just arrange to pickup another one...maybe they will let you keep this one until replacement come's in?

palmwangja

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
oh well, my "k" keyboard is acting like this... :confused:
I really don't want to return this one... every other thing is perfect.

is there any way that I can fix this thing by myself? :apple:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
oh well, my "k" keyboard is acting like this... :confused:
I really don't want to return this one... every other thing is perfect.

is there any way that I can fix this thing by myself? :apple:

I personally would not risk any DIY possible void warranty solutions. Do you have a local apple store close to you? They may be able to open and fix it fairly easy.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll go ahead and update how I got this resolved.

I called Apple support and told them the problem. They agreed I should get a new unit. But this was when they first came out and there was like no stock anywhere. They said the best they could do was, I could mail back my rMB, and then order a new one. And it would come in 4 to 6 weeks along with the rest of the people who were just now ordering.

I said that this was not an acceptable solution and I would keep my rMB and live with the problem and keep my eye on the store stock levels in the meantime. I hung up and planned to simply check in at my local Apple Store every day hoping they got some in stock soon so I could swap mine out.

The next day, I got a call from an unknown number in Austin, TX. I checked my voicemail later and it was a guy who said he was an Apple engineer and he heard about my MacBook problem, and he wanted to help me. I called him back and he said the engineering team wanted to get my MacBook asap to take a look at it. I told him I was happy to exchange it, but there were none in stock and I couldn't afford to be without a computer for any period of time. He said he could take care of that, and he called me back 24 hours later and said he had arranged for a brand new one to be sent to my local Apple Store and it would be held there for me.

The next day I went in and picked it up, and gave them my old one. The new keyboard was perfect, no faulty keys. I'm happy and feel like Apple went out of their way to make sure I was made whole.

I would encourage anyone else with this problem to pursue a replacement. The one faulty key was seriously hindering my enjoyment of the MacBook. It was a small thing but I was reminded of it every single time I needed to type the letter H.

Reactions: shurcooL and hova

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll go ahead and update how I got this resolved.

I called Apple support and told them the problem. They agreed I should get a new unit. But this was when they first came out and there was like no stock anywhere. They said the best they could do was, I could mail back my rMB, and then order a new one. And it would come in 4 to 6 weeks along with the rest of the people who were just now ordering.

I said that this was not an acceptable solution and I would keep my rMB and live with the problem and keep my eye on the store stock levels in the meantime. I hung up and planned to simply check in at my local Apple Store every day hoping they got some in stock soon so I could swap mine out.

The next day, I got a call from an unknown number in Austin, TX. I checked my voicemail later and it was a guy who said he was an Apple engineer and he heard about my MacBook problem, and he wanted to help me. I called him back and he said the engineering team wanted to get my MacBook asap to take a look at it. I told him I was happy to exchange it, but there were none in stock and I couldn't afford to be without a computer for any period of time. He said he could take care of that, and he called me back 24 hours later and said he had arranged for a brand new one to be sent to my local Apple Store and it would be held there for me.

The next day I went in and picked it up, and gave them my old one. The new keyboard was perfect, no faulty keys. I'm happy and feel like Apple went out of their way to make sure I was made whole.

I would encourage anyone else with this problem to pursue a replacement. The one faulty key was seriously hindering my enjoyment of the MacBook. It was a small thing but I was reminded of it every single time I needed to type the letter H.

Apple is really good at dealing with quality control issues. I am actually shocked the first rep said you could wait 4-6 weeks. They usually always have a separate stock for exchanges, even when the product is out of stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.