Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

End User Clark

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
Colorado Springs
Youtube Side Issue - Not My Experience

...huh? I use Youtube in Safari on Mavericks all the time. Without Flash installed.

Hi Nathan,

It started when my wife "linked" from an E-mail with a Youtube link in it and got a blank screen. I went directly into Safari and typed in http://www.youtube.com and got a message saying the browser wasn't supported and suggesting I upgrade. I think there were 3 options. Went to the App Store and clicked on "Upgrades". No upgrade for Safari so I said I guess I'll have to upgrade to Yosemite.

This is not the first time that I have had an experience with Apple and had someone say it wasn't what they had seen.

I am not lying so I wonder if anyone can explain why my experience was different.

BTW, I also saw a comment along the lines of your suggestion about Apple Support before and, of course, that is a possibility. Indeed, I plan on visiting a store and talking to someone. I still don't think I should have to do either. In my 45 years of experience, I have used a lot of different OS and this was the first time that I have seen a major working application been deliberately "nulled out" by upgrading to a new OS. Lots of applications failing to work properly without upgrades usually to the OS (usually no prior notification of the issue) and ancient applications becoming totally unsupported but no deliberate "canceling" of the application that worked just before due to the upgrade. The nulling would have been OK given that a path "appeared" to exist for an upgrade but the upgrade path did not exist and the application in question won't work without a license key which "was" known to it prior to the upgrade so an upgrade mechanism should have been direct and simple.

Thanks.

Clark

End User Clark

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
Colorado Springs
I am not lying so I wonder if anyone can explain why my experience was different.

Wanted to clear this up. Apparently, my Safari was out of date and what I thought was an iTunes only update also included a security update and a Safari update that cleared up the issue of Youtube with Safari on my other iMAC. I cannot say that this bundle was also present on the iMAC that I updated to Yosemite because of the Youtube problem (or just an iTunes update) but there is a good chance it was.

So the bottom line is that sometimes it is just necessary to apply all the updates suggested.

Sorry for the confusion.

Clark

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
It is interesting that they chose 'Photos'. They couldn't possibly get a trademark on something so generic which leads me to believe they don't have any great ambition for it beyond being a bundled app. Some have hinted that it could ultimately be a whole infrastructure for all kinds of professional and prosumer photo related work but that seems unlikely if they're not even interested in building a protected brand.

Even more weird "Photos" gets localized into other languages. Bad for installing and protecting a brand.

----------

Removing Aperture and iPhoto is a good sign for all of us. It demonstrates Apple hasn't lost that knack of never allowing the past to inhibit the future.

And Apple should be immensely proud of the achievements in releasing the first version of Photos for Mac to everyone. It's a remarkably stable and feature-rich product, and Apple is giving it away for free to every mac user.

You should add a smiley if you make sarcastic comments like that.

----------

You should give Affinity a try. It's pretty awesome.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Yes, but more a Photoshop replacement, than an Aperture replacement. Maybe we can encourage the developer to do an Aperture/Lightroom replacement as well.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
It is interesting that they chose 'Photos'. They couldn't possibly get a trademark on something so generic which leads me to believe they don't have any great ambition for it beyond being a bundled app.

I think you're right, this is a sign of Photos being just like Mail, Calendar and other apps with generic names and being part of OS X (most of which are translated as Cecco mentions) and not a "product" of any kind, like Aperture was.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
... the truth is that Apple is now a mass market consumer grade company who will make far more money if they can sell another 1% increase in iPhones rather than everyone here buying Aperture Pro or whatever.

... I know I won't trust them again with my photos.

So with that in mind I want to ask if anyone here has tried opening their Aperture library in Photos and what happened? I realise that many editing tools have disappeared but could it at least allow you to access all your photos with the edits still there exactly as they were in Aperture?

Perfect writing. I can sign everything you've said.

A few additions:

While Apple makes their money with iOS devices these days, it is the top-of-the-line hardware driven by Pro Software, which takes full advantage of the hardware's capabilities, that creates the magic aura, the Apple Unicorn. Remember, Apple needed a showcase app for their core image technology and Aperture was born. Adobe or Microsoft never used cutting edge Apple only frameworks. Phase One even don't use OpenCL for rendering effects in Capture One, which is the reason, why the same task in Capture One is 10 or more times slower than in Aperture. Apple hardware doesn't shine with ported Windows apps.

By killing their Pro-Apps, they are killing the Apple Unicorn.

I won't trust them anymore for any mid- to longterm project. With the death of Aperture they've finally become totally unpredictable.

To preserve your edits, I would batch export your versions as either JPEG or TIFF, depending which quality you need.

Furthermore you don't have to fear, that at some point in the future, Aperture won't work any more and you won't have access to your edits any more. You can always run Aperture on a Yosemite virtual machine within Parallels oder Fusion (at least as long as Parallels oder Fusion runs on future OS X versions). Maybe a bit slow without GPU acceleration but still possible. You don't have to relocate your library into the virtual machine (which could be a hassle), as an OS X virtual machine can access shared volumes from your main OS.

Last edited:

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
So, FYI, if you were not able to get your copy of Aperture converted over to the App Store version before it was pulled, I have verified that it is still possible to do so...you just have to talk to Apple now and it is not automated. It worked exactly how I thought it would work, where they give you a Mac App Store redemption code for the product, and which is exactly how they still sell and supply OS X Lion to you if you need it (if you have a computer that you never upgraded to Lion and Lion is the last release of OS X that it will run).

All I had to do was call Apple Support, ask for the Pro Apps group, explain my situation (that I have the disc version of Aperture and I need a Yosemite-compatible version), provide them with my Aperture 3 Support ID as proof of purchase/ownership, and they e-mailed me an App Store redemption code for Aperture (they said it could take up to 24 hours, but I got mine within 30 minutes).

-- Nathan

Linkink

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Pacific Northwest
I like the photos on my iPhone

It used to be I would take pictures, upload them to iPhoto and then when I synced my phone I would sync them back on to my iPhone so that I had them with me. I am not a fan of spending money for the iCloud and I bought a phone with enough space to house my photos. Can we no longer sync our photos back on to our iPhone? In iTunes they make it look like you should be able to sync them back on like you could with iPhoto but it's not working.... any help?

ldpm14

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Southlake, Texas
The new Photo's app is the reason I haven't updated to the latest version. I like iPhotos. But removing Aperture too is just a little silly.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Can I buy a used / ebay copy of Aperture and make this work?

So, FYI, if you were not able to get your copy of Aperture converted over to the App Store version before it was pulled, I have verified that it is still possible to do so...you just have to talk to Apple now and it is not automated. It worked exactly how I thought it would work, where they give you a Mac App Store redemption code for the product, and which is exactly how they still sell and supply OS X Lion to you if you need it (if you have a computer that you never upgraded to Lion and Lion is the last release of OS X that it will run).

All I had to do was call Apple Support, ask for the Pro Apps group, explain my situation (that I have the disc version of Aperture and I need a Yosemite-compatible version), provide them with my Aperture 3 Support ID as proof of purchase/ownership, and they e-mailed me an App Store redemption code for Aperture (they said it could take up to 24 hours, but I got mine within 30 minutes).

-- Nathan

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Can I buy a used / ebay copy of Aperture and make this work?
Sure. Just make sure that the card with the product key AND the Support ID is included (no "disc only" copies without the associated documentation...too risky). Also, if you buy an Upgrade copy of 3, you also need a full version of either Aperture 1 or 2...if you install 3 from disc and input an Upgrade product key, Aperture 3 *WILL* ask you for your Aperture 1 or 2 key also to verify eligibility for the Upgrade version, so it is conceivable that Apple Pro Tools Support personnel will also ask to verify your Aperture 1 or 2 ownership if it is clear you have an upgrade copy of 3.

-- Nathan

thearmlesswonde

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Photos = POS !!!!!!!! iphoto way better even if the development had stopped. I had more then one library, cant even switch between them like in iphoto unless you go to where the library is kept. plus the events are all messed up !!! Where's share to FB ?????

Hate it just like they murdered numbers for power users......

Alternatives ? Saw lightroom, its adobe sooo going to be advance. Saw Lyn, not too sure about that one. claims it opens iphoto librarys, dose not for mine so far.

Macofbob

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
Rochester (Greece), NY
iPhoto vs Photo

I'm a heavy iPhoto user, and haven't updated my home computer to Yosemite yet. I'm about ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'm ready/wanting to move to the new Photos app yet...

So, my question is, if I upgrade to Yosemite now, will I still be able to update iPhoto to the latest version without being forced into migrating to the Photos app right away?

Don't do it if you have the option. This was the worst photo app transition. you lose editing advantages ... no longer can you adjust sharpness, definition as controlable as you once did. Can't see how this app was an improvement !

Not Happy with "Photo"::mad:

Maria Besso

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
This is a really really BAD move by Apple . I have been a loyal Apple user since about the late 1980's That is over 30 years. I am very mad and disappointed with Apple's move to underhadedly disable iPhoto. I have a huge iPhoto library I don't want to share it to iCloud, I think that dumbing down the software is insulting and stifles creativity which is what apple had been best at. Slowly but surely you have taken away all of the useful creative pieces of software that apple had... You made iMovie less useful, you got rid of iWeb which was a great simple piece of software, and now you've tricked people into disabling the iPhoto 9 software which was ok( not the greatest software, but good enough, I liked older versions better). You replaced iPhoto with Photo, which offers much less functionality for creative people that do more with their photos than just share.... This is the straw that breaks the camel's back... Bye bye Apple it was nice knowing you , I now hate your new software, I'll be looking to buy a Windows computer. I feel betrayed by Apple your decision makers are a bunch of greedy crooks.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
This is a really really BAD move by Apple . I have been a loyal Apple user since about the late 1980's That is over 30 years. I am very mad and disappointed with Apple's move to underhadedly disable iPhoto. I have a huge iPhoto library I don't want to share it to iCloud, I think that dumbing down the software is insulting and stifles creativity which is what apple had been best at. Slowly but surely you have taken away all of the useful creative pieces of software that apple had... You made iMovie less useful, you got rid of iWeb which was a great simple piece of software, and now you've tricked people into disabling the iPhoto 9 software which was ok( not the greatest software, but good enough, I liked older versions better). You replaced iPhoto with Photo, which offers much less functionality for creative people that do more with their photos than just share.... This is the straw that breaks the camel's back... Bye bye Apple it was nice knowing you , I now hate your new software, I'll be looking to buy a Windows computer. I feel betrayed by Apple your decision makers are a bunch of greedy crooks.

FFS just get lightroom for your Mac. It is still much better than Windows.

rhsmd1

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Central Florida
Has anyone confirmed that if you remove it or switch computers that you can still install from your "previous purchases"

Or is it gone as in - forever?

glad i still have v 2.0 on a cd rom.
if you have
aperture on a disk drive as the app, you should be able to transfer it.
I did.

----------

i dont know if i would want a program that is $10/month and cloud based.
i want some thing that i own once i pay for it.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

1. You don't have to share your library to iCloud
2. IF you wanted to be creative, why were you using iPhoto? Aperture was way better and is still usable in OS X Yosemite.
3. Lightroom is probably the way to go now.
4. Apple Software is still better than Windows
5. I wasn't tricked, I like Photos better than iPhoto plus I still have Aperture.
5. This thread is a month old bud. Nobody will read these now.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
1. You don't have to share your library to iCloud
2. IF you wanted to be creative, why were you using iPhoto? Aperture was way better and is still usable in OS X Yosemite.
3. Lightroom is probably the way to go now.
4. Apple Software is still better than Windows
5. I wasn't tricked, I like Photos better than iPhoto plus I still have Aperture.
5. This thread is a month old bud. Nobody will read these now.

I fully agree with you except with point 3.

I'm not willing to bend my brain to the inflexible, ugly UI of Lightroom with mediocre dual monitor support.

And I'm not willing to give up my workflow to shoot RAW+JPEG because Lightroom cannot handle RAW+JPEG pairs.

Until an alternative will become available that addresses these points, Aperture stays as my main DAM system with roundtrips to external editors in case I need more than what Aperture offers oob.

And in case Apple makes Aperture incompatible with a system update before any alternative becomes available, I either freeze a machine or use Aperture within a VM.

Reactions: Harriflex

gigi1701

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Fully agree. I tried using Lightroom several times over the past years and always eventually stopped using it several times. It just made me vomit… :confused:
[snip] Maybe some indie developer could pick this up, maybe the guys making Pixelmator? There sure is an empty spot left now with Aperture being perfectly usable for now but eventually being a dead end… :(
Good News!!! You wish has been granted! A new app was just released from The Escapers that is very close to Aperture!!! It is a Mac only program called Emulsion, I have been working with it for the past several days, I was so impressed I bought it immediately while the price is introductory price ($49) It ticks most of my boxes for what I was using Aperture for, organizing client photo shoots, basic adjustments (crop, exposure, rotate, noise etc, it has many, many more that than) and it works with my main image editor Pixelmator (and others too) seamlessly, I can send a photo to Pixelmator, make changes then I can accept the changes in Emulsion or reject them. There are many other things the program can do, I am just learning about them. It does have some bugs, I emailed The Escapers about one of them and they were right on top of fixing it. It is a beautifully designed program, it is fast, clean and I enjoy using it. I am in the process of moving all of my photos from Aperture to Exposure. There is a 30 day trial (though it only took me three hours to decide to purchase it) Here is their website - http://emulsionapp.com

Reactions: Canubis

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Currently moving and reorganizing my 73,000 photos from Aperture into Lightroom.

Yeah, the interface isn't the best....but so far I'm impressed by the performance, and I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro. It's fast! And it can do multiple tasks at once with no beachballs.

Other than the lack of any integration with OS X or iOS devices.....so far I'm liking it.

The new Photos app was built for people you have small libraries and buy into the iCloud Photo Library as gospel!

-Kevin

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Currently moving and reorganizing my 73,000 photos from Aperture into Lightroom.

Yeah, the interface isn't the best....but so far I'm impressed by the performance, and I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro. It's fast! And it can do multiple tasks at once with no beachballs.

Other than the lack of any integration with OS X or iOS devices.....so far I'm liking it.

The new Photos app was built for people you have small libraries and buy into the iCloud Photo Library as gospel!

-Kevin

Suelizhall

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015

Following Wednesday's release of OS X 10.10.3 and the new Photos for OS X app, Apple has, as promised, removed Aperture and iPhoto from the Mac App Store. Apple warned that development would stop on the two photo editing apps in the middle of last year, and put notices in the Mac App Store a couple months ago to let users know the apps would be pulled from sale following the launch of Photos.

The two apps remained available for download from the Mac App Store for approximately a day after Photos for OS X was released, but attempting to access them via search now gives no results and clicking through from an external Mac App Store link gives an "Item Not Available" message.

itemnotavailableaperture-800x361.jpg
Apple has ceased development on Aperture and iPhoto to concentrate its resources on Photos for OS X, its new photo editing software that integrates with the Photos for iOS app and iCloud Photo Library to let users access their complete set of photos on any device.

Photos for OS X has been described by many as an excellent replacement for iPhoto, as it includes more advanced tools and it runs much faster. Aperture users may find Photos for OS X lacking, however, as it does not have advanced tools like a loupe or brushable adjustments. It also does not support plugins.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Aperture and iPhoto Removed From Mac App Store Following Photos for OS X Launch
How can I tell which of my 25,000 photos have not been placed into an album I have created using the new photos os x?

mumblyjoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
So let me get this straight.. A little less than a year ago I spent $80 on a piece of software. It was excellent and solved all my problems, but now it has a bug where it crashes any time I try to export. I go to fix it and find out Apple has basically just dropped it and given me an iphone app as a replacement.

Is Apple going to give me my $80 back? How about all the time I get to spend now rebuilding all my libraries and folders and s**t in Lightroom? Are they going to send some send some one to help me transfer everything?

It's one thing to put a new app out there and replace the free iphoto with something that integrates more seamlessly with iOS, but if it's not going to replace Aperture then why is Aperture getting axed? At least keep updating and supporting the thing we bought.

Col.Steve

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Photos for Mac and iPhone really sucks. There is no way to sort by name and I really need that for my millions of photos which I sorted well under iPhotos. Apple you suck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.