Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I should ask someone what it cost us to build the one in my office. It has space and cords for over 20 small tablets, which we actually use for people out on the road. This looks fancier, but it's the same level of usability, basically just cords laying on shelves. I'll bet ours was a lot cheaper.

I was always going to get something like this for home, but I've discovered that my family refuses to let their devices charge in a central location, anyway. So, no point. It would have to have twice the space for half the cost, though.

----------

Do you know of any alternative to this? I've been looking for exactly this type of item; and short of building on myself, I've come up empty. $200 seems a lot, but not when there is zero competition.
The real problem is the electricity. There are charging stands that look like filing racks for iPads, but most of these devices can't actually output enough power to charge 5 iPads at once. Homemade is almost better, because you can simply use a power strip and 5 individual chargers.

I'd say try a shoe rack/shelf and a power strip. I used to use this type of shelf for video games when I had 5 or 6 consoles plugged into the TV.

byulasfjazz

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
hahahaha I thought this was an April fools day joke. really?? They treat it like its a piece of technology. It's a box with a shelf! and quite ugly! I can make this in my garage.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I like the concept, although I think this execution is slightly flawed. The engineer in me looks at the design and thinks "lots of waste their, very inefficient way to store 5 tablets", but the more practical side says "in reality, how many households have more than 5 tablets, why not give them plenty of space".

They explain that their design brief was to come up with something that didn't look like a gadget, but an option for a couple of dock spaces on the top to charge and use a device, or maybe a built in MagSafe cable so you could use it to charge laptops along with tablets would be a nice addition.

The idea of putting a device away is certainly novel in this day and age!

txpilot82

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
It's a bread box with a charger. Why do they act like they found a cure for cancer? I thought I was watching a scene from Silicon Valley.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Do you know of any alternative to this? I've been looking for exactly this type of item; and short of building on myself, I've come up empty. $200 seems a lot, but not when there is zero competition.
Ikea, Home Depot and Amazon (For cables & Multi chargers)

Luisa Flynn

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
$200 for a "box" to store my devices + cables? just buy a $5 plastic box at walmart and flip it upside down and hey - all your stuff (incl. cables) will be hidden.
Hi, I kind of agree with what you think about this box charging station. I also like the idea of buying something cheap and make it to work as a charging station. Anyways, where can I buy this "COVE" box? and how much does it cost? I could do something from boxes, but I am in a hurry now. Thank you.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hi, I kind of agree with what you think about this box charging station. I also like the idea of buying something cheap and make it to work as a charging station. Anyways, where can I buy this "COVE" box? and how much does it cost? I could do something from boxes, but I am in a hurry now. Thank you.

Perhaps here?

It sounds interesting. a bit expensive, but it is stylish...

Sounds capable too...
  • Power Output: 5 USB ports, 12W each
  • Power Input: 110-240V
  • 16.8" x 12.8" x 7"
  • 6' (1.8m) power cord included
  • Indiegogo purchases include power cable for their region
  • Cove orders from Griffin website include North American power supply
And shipping currently.
  • Indiegogo orders ship December 2015
  • Griffin website orders to begin January 2016

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.