Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
So, for those people who already got the new Macbook this week and who have or had recently had the 13,3 rMBP;

is it a big step back from 13,3 inch to 12 inch? or is it not that bad? I know this is personal preference...but I am just looking for some opinions.... thanks

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I went from 2015 13" rMBP to rMB and have zero regrets. I LOVE this little machine. Sure the screen isn't as big and it overall isn't as powerful... but I'm loving the rMB keyboard and its powerful enough for my needs which include web browsing, music, videos, email, and light FCPX editing. It's surprisingly more capable than I thought it would be before owning one.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
That keyboard is wonderful. It works well, it cleans easy and it looks good. Going back to the 13 rMBP keyboard feels sloppy, like when you get on your grandad's typewriter.

I'm glad a I get to keep the rMBP even only for the screen. Aside from the keyboard I mentioned above the rest of the computer is also pretty good. I can't really bitch about anything.

Launch blues aside, I think Apple hit a home run with the MacBook! My opinion only, of course.

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
So, for those people who already got the new Macbook this week and who have or had recently had the 13,3 rMBP;

is it a big step back from 13,3 inch to 12 inch? or is it not that bad? I know this is personal preference...but I am just looking for some opinions.... thanks

I think the smaller form factor of the whole device is what is more noticeable. As a result you know the screen is a bit smaller, but I really don't find myself thinking "man the screen is small" or struggling for screen real estate.

I have been back and forth between my company provided 13,3 Pro and the 12 MB over the last two days now and really the biggest thing I find myself wanting is this new keyboard on every device. I really love the keyboard.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I like the new MBR for the two times I played with it, thought about getting one for the wife.. Ultimately for me it's too small & notice the 1.3" screen difference. I'm a bigger guy with big hands so take that into account.

Now in V2 they make a 14" screen version which I ultimately think they will. Every other Mac offers different screen sizes, he'll even the damn watch does lol.

I also use the little bit extra power & ports like HDMI to connect to my theatre room TV. I'm sticking with my 2015 MBRP I just bought. For now.... Perhaps that may change.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm really not sure I'm ready to do that. However, if I were a Vulcan, I know what i'd be doing. :p

:) I do not think I come close to pushing my pro. At most I have 4-5 spaces, 7-8 safari tabs, remote desktop, and word/excel. I did my best to try this on the in store displays and, in the limited time, experienced less UI lag than the pro. I think that has to do with the pro drivers not playing nice with Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.