Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Then it seems like Verizon's massively-larger LTE footprint is helping them.

Valid point. Not to mention, they have 2 layers of LTE and are actively deploying a third layer in major areas. (B2 is going up in NYC/NJ, etc). Perfect for carrier aggregation, even 3 layer CA is right around the corner :eek:

Luricas8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Maxis- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 88

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
This past weekend, I traveled from my home town of Evansville, IN to Chicago, and took the opportunity to check some speeds between here and there. In a couple of weeks, I'll be traveling to Orlando, and will make some random tests along the way also.

First thing I noticed, AT&T is still mostly slow. I did find some decent speeds, but they were few and far between. Best I saw was mid 30's down, and it was when I was within view of the nearest tower. The biggest thing noticed was that when speeds are low, even web browsing becomes painful. On my iPad, with T-MO and Sprint, slow speeds still give a decent web browsing experience, while maybe not giving the best video streaming. Below are the results.

First...Evansville north side before leaving home (about 4 miles north of the airport)

Next up...Bloomington, IN Definitely some odd results here! (IN-45 and IN-37)

Stopped for a quick bite on the south side of Indianapolis (IN-37 and I-465)

Lafayette, IN (I-65 and IN-26)

Finally arrived in Chicago! (Ukrainian Village, N Damen Ave.)

Next day, did some shopping in the suburbs (outside Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg)

Elk Grove Village (Devon Ave & N Rohlwing Rd)

Spending time with family in Bloomingdale (DQ At Schick & Bloomingdale Rd)

Outdoor shopping before heading back south (Oakbrook Center)

These areas around Chicago is exactly where I'm at. ATT and LTE is dog slow most of the time. I'm on the "unlimited" plan and often wonder if it's their way of trying to get rid of me one way or another...

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
These areas around Chicago is exactly where I'm at. ATT and LTE is dog slow most of the time. I'm on the "unlimited" plan and often wonder if it's their way of trying to get rid of me one way or another...

If you notice the speeds tests, the speeds in my opinion aren't that bad considering Chicago being a pretty populated area. What I noticed was the low pings. I'm on AT&T unlimited too and get throttled when my usage reaches 6-7GB. Even when I'm throttled I get very low pings.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Does that focus only on LTE performance? T-Mobile's 5x5 areas could be holding them back. I do wish they'd abandon the "fastest LTE" stuff since there are just way too many variables.

Nope. The picture I posted was a mix of all network technologies.

We don't have access to Ookla tests broken down by LTE/HSPA, etc

Results from my Speed test app using only LTE results shows Verizon first and T-Mobile second but the gap is a bit bigger.

Verizon - 19.85 Mbps
T-Mobile - 17.48 Mbps
AT&T - 16.34 Mbps
Sprint - 10.24 Mbps

If T-Mobile keeps up what they are doing likely eventually they will be the fastest.

Attachments

• LTE.png
    LTE.png
    55 KB · Views: 100

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Results from my Speed test app using only LTE results shows Verizon first and T-Mobile second but the gap is a bit bigger.

Verizon - 19.85 Mbps
T-Mobile - 17.48 Mbps
AT&T - 16.34 Mbps
Sprint - 10.24 Mbps

If T-Mobile keeps up what they are doing likely eventually they will be the fastest.

Who has the best pings from best to worst. With AT&T I almost always get pings that are 1/2 of Verizon.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Who has the best pings from best to worst. With AT&T I almost always get pings that are 1/2 of Verizon.

Average Latency for the last 90 days for the big four is as follows...

AT&T: 55.45 ms
T-Mobile: 69.53 ms
Sprint: 50.94 ms
Verizon: 62.26 ms

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Woah such speeds!!!

Isn't it like LTE-A already, since the theoretical speeds for LTE is up to 100MBps?

Category 4, with a 20x20 (40MHz) LTE setup, can reach 150Mbps download speeds on a single carrier.

As far as I know, LTE-Advanced is when we see carrier aggregation, which his AT&T screenshot was using.

T-Mobile and Verizon in the US also see 100Mbps+ download speeds without CA/LTE-A. Those two carriers will be even faster when they do start using carrier aggregation, which we may start seeing next year.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T all in the Millenia area of Orlando. All taken using the same speed test server, Sprint and TMo on iPad Air 2, AT&T on iPhone 6. At least AT&T is better here than back in Indiana, but it's still very spotty.

sprint.jpg

tmo.jpg

att.jpg

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Here are my speeds in Portsmouth NH. I'm surprised my speeds are i throttled as I am past my 5 GB on my AT&T unlimited plan. Every month they throttle me EXACTLY at 5 GB.

image.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.