Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Is it possible to have custom icons in the Finder sidebar under Yosemite? I've seen a mod that does that, but what I'm looking for is simpler than that.

Basically, I'd like some folders to have the "Documents" icon (because I have several "Documents" folders). Usually this problem is quickly solved: I can just copy the folder icon by coping it from the information window of one folder, and pasting it into the other.

The icons in the Finder sidebar, however, are different… and if I drag my folder - with the custom Documents icon - there, it will still only appear with the standard folder icon.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
You used to be able to in previous versions but ever since the icons went monochrome you haven't been able to change them within stock Finder. Unless you want to be hardcore and use mach_inject like Dropbox does, but for now I would just recommend using cDock to change them http://www.howtogeek.com/211767/how-to-customize-os-xs-finder-sidebar/

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in cDock you can only choose between the default grey Yosemite icons, or coloured icons? I've had cDock before to change the colour of the dock actually.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in cDock you can only choose between the default grey Yosemite icons, or coloured icons? I've had cDock before to change the colour of the dock actually.

If you choose the "Colored sidebar" option in cDock your custom folder icon will appear there like it does in a normal Finder window.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I see, I didn't know that. And there's no way of this happening with the grey Yosemite icons? They sort of grew on me I guess.

Henk-Jan

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Germany
To all if you really want to have your own colored icons back and be able to adjust all your colors just use Path Finder v.7 you do NOT need to change system settings at all.
So much crap about this topic and even screw up your system because there are people who always know it better before even trying it out!!!
Ok good luck to you all and may be the colors finally back at your desktop... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.