Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs0604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I am considering a new air, macbook pro or imac. Do they come preinstalled with a word processing program or will I need to order micrsoft word or a similar program?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple's Pages (Word), Numbers (excel), and Keynote (powerpoint) come included on every new mac.

Unless you do some really fancy stuff they are also compatible with Office (as in, if you make something in word Pages should have no issues opening/editing/saving it to .docx).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am considering a new air, macbook pro or imac. Do they come preinstalled with a word processing program or will I need to order micrsoft word or a similar program?

Your new Mac will come with Pages for free. You will be able to download it for free from the pp Stoe. I like Pages better than Word. I am both a teacher and a grad student. I used Pages for all my work. It can open Word documents. Have Word also but am more productive in Pages. iCloud is great. I keep my work there so I can access it on the Macbook, iMac and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.