Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
Retina macbooks have this problem since 2012 .

Here is my experience with a mid 2014 model : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLbzxjJSiI .

I already sold 3 macbooks because of this lag issue . All retina model have this issues , it's both a software and hardware problem . The way that OS X scalles the resolution is by making every pixlel 2x and than scale is back to 1440x900 so for the graphics card is like running on a 4k resolution . If you install windows everything is very smooth and fast !

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Retina macbooks have this problem since 2012 .

Here is my experience with a mid 2014 model : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLbzxjJSiI .

I already sold 3 macbooks because of this lag issue . All retina model have this issues , it's both a software and hardware problem . The way that OS X scalles the resolution is by making every pixlel 2x and than scale is back to 1440x900 so for the graphics card is like running on a 4k resolution . If you install windows everything is very smooth and fast !

I very much agree with this. I have owned 2 retina MacBooks. A 2013 and now a 2015. They both had the UI lag.

Turning on reduce transparency makes the world of difference. It pretty much totally eliminates the issue, which leads me to believe it is a software problem. By pretty much, I mean my UI lag totally goes away by turning that on.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I played around with a 2015 13" rMBP in the Apple store last week. The choppiness as described by the OP is very much evident (spaces, mission control, preview and so forth). It is much worse than my 2012 15" rMBP running Yosemite.

bcam117

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Seriously, even a 15-incher with a dGPU stutters?! How many windows does it take for this to happen? This is simply outrageous.

It is a lot better with the dGPU, but I don't always have that on. It reduces battery life and makes the machine hotter. Also not everyone has a dGPU in their 15" rMBP.

eeosman

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Bootcamp performance

Is there any problem with windows? Is it about drivers or hardware?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I very much agree with this. I have owned 2 retina MacBooks. A 2013 and now a 2015. They both had the UI lag.

Turning on reduce transparency makes the world of difference. It pretty much totally eliminates the issue, which leads me to believe it is a software problem. By pretty much, I mean my UI lag totally goes away by turning that on.

My experience exactly and I didn't have it on Mavericks, this is CLEARLY a software issue!

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
My experience exactly and I didn't have it on Mavericks, this is CLEARLY a software issue!

I never believed that increase contrast makes any difference, and it clearly did not make any for me until 10.10.3, but since this update my machine acts more or less as it should when I turn it on. This is clearly not a solution, because OS X is so ugly this way that I could scream, but at least the animation is around 30 fps with several day uptime with a 27" external display attached too. My only problem is now that entering Mission Control for the first time is slow, but after that it is good enough.

It is very strange that this very common method works for me since 10.10.3 only...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-EOFo6KN9Q

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I never believed that increase contrast makes any difference, and it clearly did not make any for me until 10.10.3, but since this update my machine acts more or less as it should when I turn it on. This is clearly not a solution, because OS X is so ugly this way that I could scream, but at least the animation is around 30 fps with several day uptime with a 27" external display attached too. My only problem is now that entering Mission Control for the first time is slow, but after that it is good enough.

It is very strange that this very common method works for me since 10.10.3 only...

Have any of you tried using the app "display menu." For some reason, when I set the resolution using that, all of the lag woes disappear. I can leave LCD smooth scrolling and increase transparency off with no lag. Give that a try.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009

Noah this worked for me also its extremely smooth now! Shame like you said OS X looks horrendous.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I don't mind the look except for the "shelf", but modern it's not. It's early windows retro, there's no way flat will ever be modern since they started flat. It's like cell phones going back to bag phones and calling it modern.

I really don't get why some people refuse to except the new look, especially those with Retina displays :confused: To me it looks very modern and nicely optimized for Retina displays.

cybercho

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
- Purchased new 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina last month
- Did not restore backup from old machine on purpose to rule out glitches such as this annoying lag. Set up system as new and installed all my apps, plugins, etc.
- Lag issue mainly while invoking MISSION CONTROL, RESIZING WINDOWS, SCROLLING GRAPHICS HEAVY WEBSITES.
- Updated from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2 (same issues)
- Updated from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 (same issues)
- Tried PRAM RESET which reduced the lag by about 50%, but later returned to same amount of lag before the reset (this was about 1/2 day later while browsing websites)
- Enabled the INCREASE CONTRAST checkbox within ACCESSIBILITY/DISPLAY
which greatly improved my system animation to buttery smoothness, but not at the level I'm used to.
- After reading through this entire thread, I myself have come to the conclusion that Intel needs to work with Apple to put out better graphics drivers and clean up Yosemite. Instead of releasing a new OS this fall, improve on Yosemite.
- For goodness sakes, please don't return your new system because of this unless your screen has dead pixels......

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
- After reading through this entire thread, I myself have come to the conclusion that Intel needs to work with Apple to put out better graphics drivers and clean up Yosemite. Instead of releasing a new OS this fall, improve on Yosemite.

I'm actually hoping that they release the new OS. It is said to be a 'Snow Leopard'-like OS release. I'm skipping Yosemite entirely and is patiently waiting for that since my laptop runs perfectly without lag now, although it still has some very slight stuttering now and then. Also yes, it is a software issue not a hardware.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
So I just updated my mid-2012 15" rMBP (2.6 i7, 16GB, 512GB) to 10.10.4. My last 13" mid-2014 rMBP and this one both suffered from UI lag. But now, after a few hours of being on it, I do not feel the lag anymore. Everything is lightning fast as it should be. Graphics card switching on, no high contrast, all transparency on. I honestly do feel a difference and while at first I thought it was placebo, it's not the case. Still feels speedy to me. Anyone else feel a difference on 10.10.4?

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
So I just updated my mid-2012 15" rMBP (2.6 i7, 16GB, 512GB) to 10.10.4. My last 13" mid-2014 rMBP and this one both suffered from UI lag. But now, after a few hours of being on it, I do not feel the lag anymore. Everything is lightning fast as it should be. Graphics card switching on, no high contrast, all transparency on. I honestly do feel a difference and while at first I thought it was placebo, it's not the case. Still feels speedy to me. Anyone else feel a difference on 10.10.4?

Wow, I wasn't even aware that OS X 10.10.4 Beta came out today. I will test it out on my machine and see if there is any improvement.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary

Yes, I feel the difference! For me, it is much worse than ever before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIW9nVw9TEc

:(

afrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Hey Guys,

Just bought (yesterday) a new 13" retina 2015.
Didn't read this before buying it, but i was experiencing some lag and did a search, didn't take long before noticing all the buzz regarding this issue.

I came from a Macbook Air 13" 2012 which didn't give me a single problem for almost 3 years.

This machine runs fast and it's awesome. I had to buy a second machine for work, so i thought to upgrade to a retina.

I can return the machine with no problems, i bought it on the Apple online store.

The thing is, should i return it for the same model, or the odds to get this issue are high and should instead buy another Macbook air?

I don't mind at all the air, and i know it's a great machine and works great for my job (web development).

I just don't want to return machine after machine until find one that works without lagging.

By the way, im not experiencing such lag as seen on some videos, it's the expose and switch desktops that are not as fluid as my MBA.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.