Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Nice job Dude!

Also, I think that it is so awesome that Apple took the time to respond to a consumer. I don't know of any other companies that do that. The executive team responded, which makes this even cooler!

I know lots. Maybe you're shopping in the wrong places.

DVDRAMMER

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Here's what you posted yesterday:

"Moonbat Angela Arhendts knew nothing of Apple culture, history or reputation other than what she might have read in Cosmo, which ain't a lot, I imagine. Putting her in charge of this campaign is freakishly bizarre."

Do you have problems with all women, or just strong, competent, successful ones?

Do you hate all men or just ones that are articulate, quote facts and don't make bizarre, histrionic accusations based in delusion?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple can solve this problem by having enough product to supply before the launch. Every product launch they have is marred by not having enough inventory.

Not true of iPads or Mac's until now with the MacBook.

----------

Just because someone disagrees with a woman doesn't mean they have problems with women.
MacRumors isn't tumblr and doesn't need to be cluttered by social justice warriors grasping for bullstuff.

Read again the previous comments made by this guy that you chose not to include in your reply.

----------

Exactly. Only a bat***** insane histrionic like Angela Arhendt would come up with this bizarre set-up. And only an uninspired poseur who relies on his "victim" status like Cook would appoint her in charge of Apple's precious reputation.

----------

Moonbat Angela Arhendts knew nothing of Apple culture, history or reputation other than what she might have read in Cosmo, which ain't a lot, I imagine. Putting her in charge of this campaign is freakishly bizarre.

I bought AAPL at 20 in '00, so I like my hunches. Time to sell.

I think you seriously need therapy and I am not joking. But I did get a laugh at your comment about selling your Apple stock.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Since you can consume a movie in a theatre only at location, the comparison is not quite the same. The point is the watch sales are launched online only, the stores are just there as showrooms and delivery pick-up. They still start shipping on 24 April.

Deliveries start 24 April.

The stores don;t allow for pickup. The whole point is the watch commercial is misleading to the public. It doesn't reference online only.

We are not the average public and look at the confusion that was in the forums here. Apple didn't communicate well. Most people don't watch keynotes etc.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
We don't know that.

Everything good to date was either in the pipes from Jobs or already set. The bizarro situations that we see regarding things like merging Beats, the sitting-in-a-retail-store-so-you-go-home-and-order-online-later Apple Store paradigm, etc. are all Cook.

Even under Sculley, while there were horrible missteps, the soul of Apple wasn't gutted - you know he tried to do what was right. With Cook, it's like a runaway train. Go ahead with your optimism if it makes you feel better, but I prefer reality.

----------

Your coyness called and it wants its 1997 BBS back.

Of course we do know that. Apple's profit statements speak for themselves. It's also felt out wrong that Job's had a hand in every product released to date. But given your bizarre comments its hard to take anything you say seriously.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
My watch order states May 13th to May 27th (4 to 6 weeks), which means that I could get it from May 15th to May 29th. My Milanese band order just says ships in June.

Last year, when I order the iPhone 6 Plus, my order stated 2 to 3 weeks. I received it 22 days later, which is what Apple said I would get it on.

Unfortunately, it was not sooner than expected. I feel some watch orders will be sooner than expected, but there are so many varieties that some watch orders will be shipped as stated.

I expect mine at the end of May, but I hoping for the best...

juanjohnjean

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
I ordered a Apple Watch Sport 38mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band within the first 10 minutes. I got a 4-6 week shipping availability. I was pretty upset, since I stayed up until 3 am ET just to have to wait that long. I know it could have been longer but still, it was within the first 10 minutes.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013

The stores don;t allow for pickup. The whole point is the watch commercial is misleading to the public. It doesn't reference online only.

Because they are sold out. If there was plenty of availability they would be in stores as well. People going into the stores on April 24th will be able to order theirs just like everyone else.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
We over here in the US are just experiencing what people in other countries have had to experience for years with the other Apple product releases. It's not uncommon for in-store purchases to be unavailable for a while. Although I suppose the difference is that usually in those cases, in-store PICKUP is available.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
Apple can solve this problem by having enough product to supply before the launch. Every product launch they have is marred by not having enough inventory.

That's much easier said than done. Apple faces supply issues that other companies could only dream of having. Where another company might make tens of thousands, Apple has to make millions of devices. They have the choice of holding off on releasing it until there is enough supply, or to invest in increased manufacturing capacities specifically for product launches. These wouldn't be utilized for the majority of the year, and would drive the cost through the roof.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

We are not the average public and look at the confusion that was in the forums here. Apple didn't communicate well. Most people don't watch keynotes etc.
We are not the average public, but neither are the people lining up in front of Apple Stores the average public. The average public however knows that new product launches from Apple often generate long lines at launch day. What is the difference between somebody visiting an Apple Store on day 2 after an iPhone launch and being turned away with the message that they don't have any stock or somebody visiting an Apple Store on day 2 after the Apple Watch 'launch' and being turned away with the message that they don't have any stock?

In short, the average public won't know about the online-only launch. But average public will also not try to purchase one on day 1.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA
Just my opinion...

If CEO Cook is kind enough to read a customer's email and forward it to the executive response team, do not make it public.

I feel it slightly violates the trust, and people may get no response in the future if Apple fears it will make news headlines if they respond.

I think it's awesome the reader wrote Cook and the team cared enough to respond, but why make it public news?

Apple's executive team isn't stupid. They wouldn't let an email go out to someone, signed in Tim Cook's name, without vetting it first to ensure it won't cause PR problems if it enters the public domain.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
That's much easier said than done. Apple faces supply issues that other companies could only dream of having. Where another company might make tens of thousands, Apple has to make millions of devices. They have the choice of holding off on releasing it until there is enough supply, or to invest in increased manufacturing capacities specifically for product launches. These wouldn't be utilized for the majority of the year, and would drive the cost through the roof.

I read total orders placed for the watch so far is like 957,000. Less than 1 Million. How many of those were in the first 2 min where everything slipped to 4-6 weeks? They can't make them fast enough, have not made enough to make the launch date. This Launch date was too early, should have been in May.

Last edited:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Do you hate all men or just ones that are articulate, quote facts and don't make bizarre, histrionic accusations based in delusion?

It's "Ahrendts". At least learn how to spell her name. And I seriously hope that you're not so delusional as to believe that your anti-Ahrendts rants are articulate.

What's your per share basis?

Last edited:

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
So you think you are entitled to a watch before everyone else that already ordered one because going to the retail store is hard? What a joke.

I never said I was entitled to one. I just think online only sales is a mistake, and as I said, is really no more glamorous than buying TP from Amazon. I think that by itself is a mistake on Apple's part, and not only for the watch but their new Macbook. I am not entitled to have anything available to me but I am entitled to my opinion.

1. Online only sales is counter to previous launches.

2. Online only sales is a lesser experience for something more personal like a watch.

3. Apple was not really clear that their April 24th "launch date" was merely when people who ordered in the first couple of minutes of their midnight online sales were the only people who would get a watch in the first month.

4. People getting them in the mail is not really a launch date. The only important date as far as buying a watch was the 10th which was not in Apple's commercials.

5. If you wanted to try on a watch for sizing or deciding on a band or material before ordering you were already WAY behind the ordering curve, and could be waiting 4 months or more for a specific combination because you had the audacity to not buy blindly at midnight.

6. Why midnight? So not only are there no sales in store but you had to order without trying anything on and for the majority of the country stay up until 2-3 in the morning to have an order in within minutes.

None of these are a good buying experience and counter to what I think they should be doing. My opinion is mine to have and I find what Apple has done with their watch pretty disappointing. But no I'm not 'entitled' to jack from Apple but I am perfectly within my lane to have my own opinion on their business decisions. The only reason I can think of people defending this bad move is because they're one of the people who stayed up until 2-3AM and got in within the first few minutes. Everyone else is just **** out of luck so they're going to ride their superiority into the ground defending a botched product launch.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Just placed my order a few minutes ago.

So, with our one year anniversary coming up and my wife's birthday in July, I contemplated getting her an apple watch. Originally I wanted one for myself first, but then decided that she could also benefit from having one as well. There are a lot of reasons she would use it more than she thinks; she has trouble with remembering tasks, checking calendars and hates checking her phone because she works with a phone all day for her job. I think the watch would take care of a lot of those things because she would just have to glance at the watch and avoid the phone, etc.

I chose the Sports model (38mm) for each of us ( I didn't want to be killed by spending more than $350 each :)). I hope to justify the price to her in that it will be a birthday gift for her as well which I'm confident she will understand. In terms of the shipping dates, it's not like I needed the watch right away. Our anniversary is in May, so it probably won't be here until after that, but my wife is so patient with things when I tell her that her gift will be coming a little earlier due to things beyond my control.

Believe me, I would love to get it ASAP, I'm a big Apple fan and love having the products to play with right away, but in this case I think Apple really did get nailed with material and manufacturing issues and as a result just didn't have much choice. Believe me folks, they will be working to produce this product to get it out there as fast as they can....

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
I read total orders placed for the watch so far is like 957,000. Less than 1 Million. How many of those were in the first 2 min where everything slipped to 4-6 weeks? They can't make them fast enough, have not made enough to make the launch date. This Launch date was too early, should have been in May.

That was an estimate for the united states for 1 day. The Watch launched in 9 countries simultaneously.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
That was an estimate for the united states for 1 day. The Watch launched in 9 countries simultaneously.

Yep. The "estimate" also was a complete joke, by a company trying to get its name in the news, utilizing small sample, opt-in methodology. It gave the talking heads something to yak about but no one took it seriously.

russ99

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
My biggest problems on launch day were:

1. Time. Nobody should need to wake up at 1-3am to order tech.

2. Apple's about face the day before on in-store pickup of online pre-orders. Some people like to pick up their purchases at the store, it adds to the experience, and some delivery carriers are unreliable.

3. The store was down on Mac browsers for 4-8 minutes at 2:00am CST then all launch watches were gone.

You shouldn't have to buy on the Apple Store App with Apple Pay to get a launch device, the playing field should be equal for all buyers.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
And to add to this, the try-on appointments should have been at least one day BEFORE pre-orders. How many cancellations have occurred because people ordered the wrong size?

This. I was one of the first to order, but have cancelled 2 times since. I finally settled on a 42mm and 38mm SS w/Milanese loops, and 2 black sport bands. If they had try-on appointments first, I could have seen them and tried them on in person and made a better decision.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
OK, I suppose I'll cancel my 49 other launch-day Apple Watch preorders.

Only joking. I don't have that kind of dough.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Totally missed my point.

But the movie is in the theater if you get there in plenty of time OR preorder your ticket and pick it up when you arrive on 1 May. The product is still there to consume. Can everyone see any showing they want? No, but some get to see it on the day promised that it became available.

In the case of the watch, it's not.

Ofc it is. around 1 million people will receive their watch on the 24th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.