Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigdaddy223

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Who restores as new after an update... are do your restore from back up?

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
If it's. A big update like ios 8.3 I all ways hock the phone up to itune and do the update from there don't do ota upgrade I olny do small ota update if it like ios 8.3.1 but do it from iTunes and restore it has new not from a back up

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
If it's. A big update like ios 8.3 I all ways hock the phone up to itune and do the update from there don't do ota upgrade I olny do small ota update if it like ios 8.3.1 but do it from iTunes and restore it has new not from a back up

I maybe misinformed but I don't think there's any difference between either method, except for maybe a placebo effect.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I always restore as new with any major interval iOS update. I primarily do this to purge the garbage data from the "Other" directory (some of this junk data won't go away until you restore the device as new).

Once I verify the install, then I restore the apps and data from a backup. Always using iTunes, never OTA.

----------

I maybe misinformed but I don't think there's any difference between either method, except for maybe a placebo effect.

The OTA update is a delta file that only swaps out the change files. The iTunes iOS update is a full installation that replaces the entire system directory.

As a rule of thumb, I prefer the iTunes update because it just seems to create fewer issues. Recall that the iOS 8.0.1 fiasco only affected the OTA updates, because the installation package specified some incorrect files to keep/replace.

Also, the OTA iOS updates require a huge amount of free storage space on the device. For lower capacity devices operating close to the limit, it's just easier to use iTunes and not worry about how to clear out 5+ GB of storage space for the OS update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Files get corrupt on ota update. restore as new.
On some occasions for a few people here and there something like that can potentially happen (as can lots of other things even with a restore as new could go wrong). Overall, OTA functions just fine for most people.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
On some occasions for a few people here and there something like that can potentially happen (as can lots of other things even with a restore as new could go wrong). Overall, OTA functions just fine for most people.

Or it can happen on the installation package itself, as was the case with the botched iOS 8.0.1 update. Recall that the full iOS installation via iTunes worked fine, but not so with the OTA update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or it can happen on the installation package itself, as was the case with the botched iOS 8.0.1 update. Recall that the full iOS installation via iTunes worked fine, but not so with the OTA update.
Yup, certainly some isolated incidents out there, just as they could really be the other way around as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.