Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Very possible.

Try a command-r boot to the recovery console then run a repair disk with Disk Utility and see what you get.

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Very possible.

Try a command-r boot to the recovery console then run a repair disk with Disk Utility and see what you get.

it will repair just fine, but somehow every now and then when i delete some stuff it will happen again

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
it will repair just fine, but somehow every now and then when i delete some stuff it will happen again

What kind of message do you get when you repair it? After you repair, you are saying it goes away for a while, then comes back?

Assuming you are not powering down while booted or something that would cause disk corruption, this sounds like a drive headed for a dirt nap. :(

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Test and see if that turns up anything. It is possible a bad memory module could lead to disk corruption, although this is less likely than a bad drive.

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
What kind of message do you get when you repair it? After you repair, you are saying it goes away for a while, then comes back?

Assuming you are not powering down while booted or something that would cause disk corruption, this sounds like a drive headed for a dirt nap. :(

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Test and see if that turns up anything. It is possible a bad memory module could lead to disk corruption, although this is less likely than a bad drive.

They say repair is successful or complete (can't remb). After that I verify disk again and they say there's no error.

The incorrect block count for file usually points towards a specific file. so example after i delete file A it gives me that problem, then probably a while later i delete file G it will give me the error. not always though.

alright will give it a go.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Very possible.

I'm getting this a lot after using Photos for a while. I've been deleting quite a few unwanted images lately. I periodically run Disk Utility, and many image files are reported as having an invalid block size, with a recommendation to repair. I've repaired several times now, and each time the repair is successful. But I'm pretty sure that if I do some more deleting or reorganising in Photos, the problem will happen again. rMBP (using on-board flash drive).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Hmm... I don't know. Otherwise things work fine? No slowdowns or beachballs like you start to see when a drive is failing? So it is just some image files?

No, it's behaving quite normally in all other respects, a bit of a puzzler. The files in question always seem to be RAW images in the Photos library and, I suspect, ones that I have deleted. A bug in Photos, maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.