Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Thats super cool!! And if I may ask, are you getting warm with the idea of wearing socks?

----------

It's not like we NEED christian bakeries... LOL. Just joking(!!!!). This is the Valentines Day cake I made for my hubby. We're not even THAT gay (well yes we are by definition and stuff), the rainbow happened by accident when I was looking for a filler, it's more of a "Blue Sky" rainbow than a "Gay" rainbow! (Had it been a "gay rainbow" I would have tried for a more authentic purple than that poor zombie flesh purple, but trust me, colouring fondant in 50 different shades is not a fun thing to do).

----------

holy cow! don't people visit this subforum or how does this extreme underliking of your amazing contraption occur?!

Bear <3

humann

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles
Underdesk old Mac Pro hangers: Homemade

I'm sure this has been done elsewhere better but I finally got around to making these to put my old Mac Pro 2,1 under my desk but off the floor. It's just a 4" piece of 1" x 4" steel square tube sawn in half to make two U-channels. I drilled and countersank the requisite holes before adding strips of female velcro as padding to keep that Apple aluminum from scratching too much. It hangs underneath the edge of my workbench now and I'm happy. Heat issues are solved by hanging it right at the edge of the work surface and also installing a small 5" fan to blow the heat our from under the desk.

MacPro_hanger1.jpg

MacPro_hanger2.jpg

MacPro_hanger3.jpg

If I was making another set I'd have used aluminum and made them 6" long instead of 4". Or maybe I'll add some rails too, to keep the tower in line. It seems to get bumped and twisted by my knees a lot already :)

Last edited:

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
Great skill!!!

This was my second quilting project. It was a lot of fun to make. I quilted apple logos with white thread, but it's kind of hard to see in the photo. Free motion quilting is fun but not easy!

It's about 80" by 80" with a solid white flannel backing.

That is amazing!!! Keep up the good work!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Okay, so this was made by my daughter with a bit of help from me over the last few weekends. We used a rubber ball for the body, air drying clay for the wings, feet and horns, card for the cross detail and a wire covered in heat shrink for the tail.
In case you are wondering it's Timcanpy from D-Gray man Anime series which she loves. The background is not hers btw, although she could probably draw it is she wanted.

Attachments

• Timcanpy.jpg
    Timcanpy.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 137

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
DIY linear actuated height-adjustable desk

Here's my linear actuated, height-adjustable desk that I built for my home office. I'm a software engineer that works remote full-time. Woodworking and generally "making things" is my hobby. i went to school for industrial design, so i've always gravitated to designing and making stuff.

standing mode:
10844206_1524773814476157_290052126_n.jpg

standing mode after upgrading to a dell 2415q 4k display (middle lcd):
IMG_0383.JPG

sitting mode:
10844268_1512043055745765_268916412_n.jpg

you'll note that i still haven't gotten around to rebuilding the "feet". they are too small, as well as the braces on the front/back of the feet, they too, are not substantial enough to provide enough back/front "sway" support.

it's not too bad, i can still put a ton of "lean" onto the desk and it won't tip over at full height extension, it just rocks forward a bit and is more of an annoyance than anything.

there's also an emotiva "control freak" volume knob in the apron (next to the actuators' rocker switch) that controls my schitz modi usb dac hooked up to the jbl lsr305's.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
soo artistic

I'm into wood work and plexiglass art, here are a couple recent creations, both CNC.

I feel like you posted so many of your art work in this post. They are all amazing!! SERIOUSLY!! You can sell them for money!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! You are very skilled! :cool:

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Wow, some nice stuff posted, haven't got any notifications for quite a while. Last thing I saw was the socks.

Here is a 3D SOA reaper I did in poplar today, about 10x12". Not perfect but not bad for the 1st one, took about 4 hours to cut. Don't tell Jax, he'll kick my ass !

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Awesome! Are you selling these?

I do sell alot of stuff, make alot just for the heck of it too. Most of my sales are signs, 3D stuff is hard to turn a profit on as there is alot of machine time and effort that goes into them ,,, 6 hours for the last one.
People are so spoiled by made in China junk that they might think, hmmm $19.99 for that sounds good ! Not quite, I try to be as reasonable as I can but am not going to give it away ,,,Wait, I do that alot too, friends and family or charity though.
Shoot me a pm if you might want one, we'll see if you go into sticker shock or not. They are truly 1 of a kind though, far as I'm aware the only ones like them in the world.
I'm thinking about flood filling both of them with clear epoxy, I think that would look great, down side is clear epoxy is very expensive.

edit: On a roll, exotic purpleheart wood, still a little glossy from the clear coat.
edit2: Wenge, a highly exotic & expensive wood

Last edited:

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Here is the evil twin of the 1st walnut posted [sold quickly], came from the same slab of wood.
Could have made is slightly bigger but I had to avoid that nasty knot/crack towards the bottom, as it is it came out a little larger than the 1st anyhow.
Some really nice grain patterns, almost looks burled in places.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Here is the evil twin of the 1st walnut posted [sold quickly], came from the same slab of wood.
Could have made is slightly bigger but I had to avoid that nasty knot/crack towards the bottom, as it is it came out a little larger than the 1st anyhow.

Nice woodworking! You did a good job.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks man, really something how that finish makes everything pop.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Man you are a wizard with that hook anjinha ,, Or a wizardess !

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Edge lit plexiglas - Forgot to flip the model, dangit !

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014

I was thinking more tangible creations when starting this thread, ie something you can hold in your hands ... But creativity takes all forms, digital/computer creation cannot be overlooked.

Without software and computing power I either could not make what I make, or what takes hours would take weeks. So in that regards I am more impressed by a pair of socks than 3D shapes carved out of a block of wood.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I made myself a frozen salisbury steak meal...i'm pretty useless when it comes to making things. I can build custom pc's though but I have no interest in doing that anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.