Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I just purchased an iPhone 6+. Upon activating, I noticed that a bunch of Apple apps such as Garageband came pre-installed. Upon investigating I discovered that They're all supposed to be free for devices purchased after a certain date.

This would be really cool, except that when I actually try to open the apps, they kick me back to the home screen. I'd try to delete and reinstall, but they don't appear to be tied to my account. Did the deal expire, or is something else going on?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
None of the iphone models come with preinstalled apps.
Unless you bought it used and you have some apps leftover from the previous owner.
You should restore it and start fresh. Then you can install and download your own apps with your apple ID.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
That's weird: The phone is brand new, right out of the box from T-Mobile. I even saw her go through the set up process.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Doubt that.
Brand new iphones never come with preinstalled apps such as Garageband or other appstore apps.
Someone used it before and installed apps using his apple ID.

Well I pay for a brand-new phone, that's for sure. At a corporate T-Mobile store; not some back alley.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well I pay for a brand-new phone, that's for sure. At a corporate T-Mobile store; not some back alley.

Lol:D
Then how was a bunch of other apps with someone else apple ID installed on it?
Maybe they sold you a used iphone that someone bought and returned or maybe one they have used it as a display unit.
Either way it was not brand new.

mikec999

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
The Woodlands
Suggestion to delete the app (seems like there's nothing to lose since it isn't working) then go to the App Store and do a reinstall. Also, you may want to check and see if your Numbers, Pages and Keynote work (all should be free)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Doubt that.
Brand new iphones never come with preinstalled apps such as Garageband or other appstore apps.
Someone used it before and installed apps using his apple ID.

You're incorrect:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204072
If you bought an iOS 8 device that's 32 GB or larger, it came with a new bundle of apps from Apple, including iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and iTunes U.
My 64GB iPhone 6 had all these on it when I got it.

----------

This would be really cool, except that when I actually try to open the apps, they kick me back to the home screen. I'd try to delete and reinstall, but they don't appear to be tied to my account. Did the deal expire, or is something else going on?

The article I linked above covers this topic. Quick summary: back up your phone, delete the apps, then download them again. They'll automatically be free because that's tied to the device.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Well it turned out that my phone was just generally bugged out. Couldn't update the firmware, stopped detecting the SIM card (even after a reset), etc. I went in today and got a replacement. All the apps ran without a hitch on the new phone.

Interestingly the apps came preinstalled at first, but I had to reinstall them after updating to iOS 8.3. This may explain the discrepancy between user experiences.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I purchased my 5s/32 from the Apple Store, and they opened the package at the Store, turned it on .. and did set up with me. I put my fingerprint in, as well as my pass code ... and behold ... I had 28 apps pre-installed from Apple.

I put another 30 free apps in download from the Apple Store through iTunes via my iMac cable modem.

Of the 28 pre-installed (all of them work) some of them I can not delete while others I can .. such as Garage Band.

The pre-installed apps .. on my iTunes program .. they are not there and can not be updated as they were never installed by iTunes.

That is an oddity ... which I want Apple Code Hackers to fix .. so when I sync my iPhone .. all the apps I can move about on my iMac mouse .. I can also delete and update.

Well Plot Device got it figured out .. she had a Lemon for an Apple iPhone.

Got that fixed quick ...

Good job ...

Alan

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well it turned out that my phone was just generally bugged out. Couldn't update the firmware, stopped detecting the SIM card (even after a reset), etc. I went in today and got a replacement. All the apps ran without a hitch on the new phone.

Interestingly the apps came preinstalled at first, but I had to reinstall them after updating to iOS 8.3. This may explain the discrepancy between user experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.