Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeelStone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
Hello. I was on a website and tried to download a video. I did not save the file. I just tried opening it, but I wasn't even able to open the video because it was an .flv file extension. I had never heard of the website before and now I'm worried that maybe I've opened myself up to a virus, trojan, or some other form of malware. Is it possible to get a virus, trojan, or other form of malware from downloading a video?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....flv is the extension used for Flash video files. If it's an "iffy" source I might be suspicious but if you use a tool like ClamXAV to scan your d/l folder automatically you're going to be safe almost always when downloading.

Also, a quick search of the forum for "virus" is going to give to a lot of info about what to do. not do, when to panic (rare) and when to chill (most of the time). There is a tendency to panic and start new threads for every odd happening with "I have a virus" when it's not the case - sometimes a little research goes a long way....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.