Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
So like anyone with 128GB SSD in their MBA, I am trying to keep my files organised to free up space on my Air.

However, I am getting different amounts of available storage readings from different parts.

First of all, my the icon on my desktop reads 54GB available, the reading under 'About this mac' reads 40.09GB available. When I go into finder and press cmd+i on my SSD is shows 54GB free, but when I go on disk utility or my disk cleaner app it shows as 40GB again.

Does anyone know whats going on? This is really starting to bug me, 14GB difference!

Also, does anyone know what the 14GB under Backups? That was 11GB earlier this evening? I have my back ups set to an external drive and all my device back ups on iTunes are gone.

Thanks

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So like anyone with 128GB SSD in their MBA, I am trying to keep my files organised to free up space on my Air.

That "About my Mac" screen is famously inaccurate.

Best is to download a shareware utility called Disk Inventory X. That will give you a nice breakdown of what's using up space on your drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.