Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

unwyse

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
Michigan
Any risk/downside in installing W10 in Bootcamp instead of VM?

I've been running it via Boot Camp on my 2014 rMBP since the first tech preview dropped.

It takes awhile to boot into Windows 10, freezes frequently – even when nothing very demanding is running, – frequently fails to update (though, I'm sure this is my fault in some way), and I run into an issue when I boot back into Yosemite where my displays are set to the wrong resolution, and mirroring is enabled despite that setting being disabled before booting into Windows.

Aside from that, it works pretty well once it gets going.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Windows Technical Preview (Windows 10) Bugs, Glitches and Good Things

Any risk/downside in installing W10 in Bootcamp instead of VM?

Make sure to take out your Windows 7/8 disk first. Windows 10 install has the habbit to srew up your current Windows installation! At least it happend to my Windows 8 Pro x64 SSD, WHICH i did not first take out!

I ended up installing Windows 10 in a Fusion VM.

GL & Cheers

Last edited:

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
MBA 2015 Windows 10 Bootcamp

Having a go at WTP/Wn10 on a 2015 MBA using Bootcamp - couldn't find much on web

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
me too, as we speak

:) Oh well installed ok - then ran bootcamp drivers setup - seems basically ok - got right click on trackpad working using bootcamp icon in taskbar - now fiddling with other software issues

40Gb free on a 128 SSD split 50:50 - not bad

Last edited:

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
:) Oh well installed ok - then ran bootcamp drivers setup - seems basically ok - got right click on trackpad working using bootcamp icon in taskbar - now fiddling with other software issues

It didn't work for me. I create the installation USB, and while bootcamp creates the bootcamp partition the laptop reboots and end of the story.

Anyone got any odea?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Tried several time, I am on a MBP 2015

Does the USB come up as an option?

I can see you've had a similar problem before with your startup disk of choice not being honored and no-one replied - the Apple support forums are another option for support - I would try there - bad no-one in Mac Rumours couold help...

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Does the USB come up as an option?

I can see you've had a similar problem before with your startup disk of choice not being honored and no-one replied - the Apple support forums are another option for support - I would try there - bad no-one in Mac Rumours couold help...

Nope, there is Mac and EFI Boot

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
I installed it natively on my MacPro 1,1 and so far, it runs nicely. No problems, except for that one time where the UI started bugging out. But when I installed the video card drivers for my X1900, they went away. Normally I run a GTX 760, but I need my Mac GPU installed atm for boot screens. Quite surprised that the vista drivers for this GPU work just fine on Win10.

Also, since I can NEVER get BootCamp to work (and I mean N-E-V-E-R), I installed it the old fashioned way by burning a properly formatted ISO to a DVD-RW. Since my Mac has EFI32, I have to re-format my .iso using this method.

So far, no major issues.

Shogun.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Nope, there is Mac and EFI Boot

After 30 unsuccessfull attemps via bootcamp, I found out that rebooting and pressing Alt and choosing "EFI Boot" was all that was needed. If only bootcamp worked...never managed to install Windows without issues.

The other thing that bootcamp did not do is to install the drivers, I installed them manually from the USB drive, bootcamp folder, set up. If you don't do that, among other things, you will not have wifi.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I'm about to give Windows 10 a try. I just bought a HP Envy 15t (Windows 7 pro :cool:)fully loaded to replace my Dell Inspiron N4010. (Win 7 Ultimate) Once the HP comes, my old Dell will become my test computer.

Eventually, on my HP, I am planning on duel booting Windows 7 with Win 10 (copy a partition then upgrade.)

So, overall do you guys think Windows 10 is a worthy replacement for the Legendary 7?

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I'm about to give Windows 10 a try. I just bought a HP Envy 15t (Windows 7 pro :cool:)fully loaded to replace my Dell Inspiron N4010. (Win 7 Ultimate) Once the HP comes, my old Dell will become my test computer.

Eventually, on my HP, I am planning on duel booting Windows 7 with Win 10 (copy a partition then upgrade.)

So, overall do you guys think Windows 10 is a worthy replacement for the Legendary 7?

yes, if anything for the scaling. On my MBP it runs very well. Havent tested on my 4k monitor but should do well there as well. To be honest other than the graphics it does not seem very different from how windows 7 works.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
yes, if anything for the scaling. On my MBP it runs very well. Havent tested on my 4k monitor but should do well there as well. To be honest other than the graphics it does not seem very different from how windows 7 works.

Sweet thanks for the feedback :cool: I have seen multiple screenshots and it looks ok (will install Classic Shell on there anyways).

I am looking forward to testing this beta out. ;)

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Hibernation

I cannot make hibernation work in windows 10 bootcamp, if i hibernate and then power on it reboots in OS X. Does it work for you?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Yes, absolutely. I've been using Windows 10 since they first released the public beta and I really like it a lot. I'm using it in VMware Fusion 7 and it's been very stable for the most part and I like most of the changes they've done as well.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Windows Update does not work?

I am running build 9926 on MBP 2015 (bootcamp), did a windows update to get the latest build but I get a message that says that I cannot install it because my installation type is not compatible with updates.

Do you get the same? Did you manage to update to a newer build?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I am running build 9926 on MBP 2015 (bootcamp), did a windows update to get the latest build but I get a message that says that I cannot install it because my installation type is not compatible with updates.

Do you get the same? Did you manage to update to a newer build?

Was able to update without any issues. You might want to make sure there is enough space on you partition for the update to complete.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I also have 128 SSD split in half. In bootcamp on 10 if you run disk cleanup and select "Compress system files" you will save a fair bit. 13GB in my case.

My Windows installation (including Office but excluding user files, page file etc) is now less than 3GB.

This was not possible on earlier versions of Windows and for those of us with a small SSD is pretty useful I think. I've not noticed any performance impact at all.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I also have 128 SSD split in half. In bootcamp on 10 if you run disk cleanup and select "Compress system files" you will save a fair bit. 13GB in my case.

My Windows installation (including Office but excluding user files, page file etc) is now less than 3GB.

This was not possible on earlier versions of Windows and for those of us with a small SSD is pretty useful I think. I've not noticed any performance impact at all.

I don't see the option to compress system files, where is that?
On the other hand I saw in disk clean up that I can delete "previous Windows installations" and free 13GB.

I also got 128GB (120), 80GB allocated to OS X (43 GB free), 40GB allocated to Windows (16GB free).

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I don't see the option to compress system files, where is that?
On the other hand I saw in disk clean up that I can delete "previous Windows installations" and free 13GB.

I also got 128GB (120), 80GB allocated to OS X (43 GB free), 40GB allocated to Windows (16GB free).
These are separate things. When you upgrade Windows (since Windows 7) the upgrade process will copy the Windows directory to a directory called Windows.old. It will delete it after 30 (?) days or you can delete it yourself. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

I am not talking about that. If you have a SSD (and you have to, it will not work if you have a HDD or you are using a VM which isn't presented to the Guest as a SSD) you can compress the image.

I have posted already on this forum 94-95% compression for the Windows and program Files directories - I'll look for the the post and link it in a minute but, if you don't have SSD, it will not work.

EDIT: I'll have to use this one...

Method: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html

Results: http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10...s-disk-space-win10-post209866.html#post209866

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks, I know they are two separate things.

I just don't have the line called system compression. I thought windows 10 was compressing system files by default?

I don't know if this makes any difference but I did a clean installation of W10.

PS I do have SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.