Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I am on my 1st charge.

1. My rMP came only 4% charged , anyone else that low?

2. After I went to 100%, I started working, downloading etc...Currently projecting 6:15 hours left at 95%....

Is that normal....seems low

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
The battery is likely to improve after the first few cycles. But more importantly you are installing stuff and spotlight is indexing. The first day or two is always going to be harder on the battery than normal.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Battery life has been good so far. I keep the brightness as bright as I need it to be and yesterday I was on 10hrs with 63% still left on the battery.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Battery life has been good so far. I keep the brightness as bright as I need it to be and yesterday I was on 10hrs with 63% still left on the battery.

Mind explaining this further? 10 hours and 63% left seems unbelievable to me. Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Mind explaining this further? 10 hours and 63% left seems unbelievable to me. Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering.

I run nothing intensive. I read mostly. I don't run benchmarks while on battery and have no more than 5 tabs open with Safari. I browse pictures on Photos, occasionally playing videos. I seldom play videos on a browser. I just read, read, read.

It's totally believable. In my case all that battery is driving is the screen. The rest of the computer is mostly asleep.

Edit: And you don't have 2x electric motors driving fans at minimum 2000rpm.

Last edited:

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I run nothing intensive. I read mostly. I don't run benchmarks while on battery and have no more than 5 tabs open with Safari. I browse pictures on Photos, occasionally playing videos. I seldom play videos on a browser. I just read, read, read.

It's totally believable. In my case all that battery is driving is the screen. The rest of the computer is mostly asleep.

I see. That's phenomenal. Still very hard to believe, but I do not doubt your word. Will have to give it a try on my MBr. Thanks for the additional info!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
To early for me to tell, since I am on the road and dropbox is still downloading ****. But I am thinking 7-8 hours battery from early impressions, not great, but okay.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home

Thanks. Good to know. This is how I'll use mine with some occasional iMovie and Sketchup.

GiantCow

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Sounds like how much charge is in the battery after unboxing varies. Is there a proper way to do a first charge on a Li-Ion battery? Let it run down pretty low first or just connect it to the charger straight away?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You will get lots of opinions about Li batteries but I think that the expert consensus is that running them down lower than ~1/3 is not good for the battery. It helps the software to calibrate the battery runtime/% charged so you may feel like you've improved battery performance, but that's not the same thing. I would charge it up fully out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.