Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Your link didn't offer up much good as far as HBO itself is concerned. But I learned that Amazon Prime plays host to a huge select of HBO's back catalog, and now know about this Sling TV service Dish is hosting, which might work out well for being able to catch some of the basic cable channels I'll otherwise miss after cutting the cord.

If HBO goes a little too a'la carte, that won't be too big a deal for me, since I currently only watch Game of Thrones and True Detective on there. So long as they're not outrageously priced (like $20 a month individually), I'll just subscribe to them, and get the rest of my movies and old TV shows through the other packages. All things considered, I should be cutting the cost of TV by a third without missing out on much at all.

Right now it's Game of Thrones and Homeland that I'd like to keep up with.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One option I've had some success with is talking with my provider (Uverse) and gettting a free movie upgrade for a 3 month period. Often they have promotions that you can get that will give 90 days free and you cancel at the end of the promo. The trick is timing the promo to the start and end of a show you like to watch whether it be GOT, True Detective, Shameless, Strike Back, etc. A bonus is that while you have the 3 month promo you can watch other shows "on demand" for that network and binge some stuff. My wife and I recently did this with HBO so we could catch the last season of Newsroom. While we had the promo we binged the first season of True Detective "on demand". The only problem with this method is that the providers are starting to wise up and Uverse now will only allow you to access two promos in a 12 month period.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One option I've had some success with is talking with my provider (Uverse) and gettting a free movie upgrade for a 3 month period. Often they have promotions that you can get that will give 90 days free and you cancel at the end of the promo. The trick is timing the promo to the start and end of a show you like to watch whether it be GOT, True Detective, Shameless, Strike Back, etc. A bonus is that while you have the 3 month promo you can watch other shows "on demand" for that network and binge some stuff. My wife and I recently did this with HBO so we could catch the last season of Newsroom. While we had the promo we binged the first season of True Detective "on demand". The only problem with this method is that the providers are starting to wise up and Uverse now will only allow you to access two promos in a 12 month period.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

tayluftwaffel

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
I know my husband and I have JUST internet. We don't have cable tv, or anything like that. Our internet is $79 a month, which is a little high, but we both work online all day, and stream amazon instant video or netflix.
We don't have a landline, either. Never have since we moved three years ago.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like I was right about one thing. HBO Now, the cable free version of HBO GO, is launching alongside the new Game of Thrones.

The one thing I was, thankfully, wrong about was the price. $15 a month. A little steep comparatively, but still not half bad.

I created an HBO Now account via Apple TV at $15 a month (monthly subscription), which I'll keep active until the end of GoT. I wonder when I cancel HBO Now, does it stop immediately or does it go for the current 30 day period? I'll find out eventually. My cable company wants $20 a month for HBO. I wonder if they take $5 off the top (hence the $15 HBON) and assume this independent of the cable company streaming service will be a net plus for them as long as they produce worthy shows. Psychologically it seem much easier to cancel this then call the cable company. They are competing with the likes of Netfiix which is producing original shows and has a ton of television content at half the price.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.