Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KensMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Hi fellow iMac uses. I'm a virgin first time apple forum user.
Have an iMac 14.2 mod. running latest OS updates.
Noticed that my start up HD has bloated to less than 60GB. (250GB drive)
I went searching and found 105GB in the:-
Library/Server/Software update/data/Content folder.
Question:-
Can I delete all these update files with no problems?
kensart2012@me.com

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If I'm not mistaken then you shouldn't even have a Server folder in the first place unless you're running OS X Server. Those files sound like they're part of the Software Update Server component, and may be maintainable through Server Manager.

Note that I haven't used Server for a few years so I may be misremembering!

KensMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Server

Yes have Server installed for future use i'll look alone your suggested lines thank it didnt click in my mind.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes have Server installed for future use i'll look alone your suggested lines thank it didnt click in my mind.

You have the Software Update service running and it's downloading all updates from Apple. If you aren't actually using services, there is no good reason to leave them running "for future use." You'll fill up several hundred GB if you leave all updates in the Software Update service enabled automatically. I would turn off all the services and if you are not using any of them, delete /Library/Server entirely.
You can also delete the updates individually inside the Server app. Don't just delete the folder of updates in Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.