Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Do you have any other graphics cards in the mac? I had trouble with mine when I left the original one inside.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying one in my mac now the fans are loud my mac turns on-no funny sounds but the screen doesn't turn on. it's just a black screen. Thats past the boot sequence?
Any idea? I'm still running ML to test

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Do you have any other graphics cards in the mac? I had trouble with mine when I left the original one inside.

No-I took my original one out (ATI Radeon X1900 XT ). Then installed the new one. I used the same 6pin power adapter from the old card. Like I said The comp boots up fine just no video. Maybe i'll try a different port.

What OS are you running maybe there aren't drivers for ML

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I only use it on 10.9/10.10. Using Macpostfactor for a 10.8 drive but it doesn't work well with this card, just my original one.

No-I took my original one out (ATI Radeon X1900 XT ). Then installed the new one. I used the same 6pin power adapter from the old card. Like I said The comp boots up fine just no video. Maybe i'll try a different port.

What OS are you running maybe there aren't drivers for ML

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I only use it on 10.9/10.10. Using Macpostfactor for a 10.8 drive but it doesn't work well with this card, just my original one.

ok I'll try with Mavericks. I already have the macpostfactor install ready.Hopefully I'll have better results. If not then I think the card is borked:(

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Has anyone had any success with the PNY 8800gt XLR8? Just wondering what the difference is between that and the regular Nvidia 8800gt.

I pretty sure it needs to be flashed just wondering how hard it is as I can get one.

Cheers

The difference is that it is a factory overclocked card and it doesn't have an EFI rom so you won't have a boot screen. It will work without flashing though

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Didn't have a power cable, had to buy one on eBay. My Mac had the 7300gt with no cable required.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
A good piece of 8800GT advice.

Go for EVGA ones that have black fan with blue & white graphics.

They always have proper chip for EFI flash, while BFG and PNY usually don't. It is even possible to flash in 10.7.5.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
A good piece of 8800GT advice.

Go for EVGA ones that have black fan with blue & white graphics.

They always have proper chip for EFI flash, while BFG and PNY usually don't. It is even possible to flash in 10.7.5.

Thats great to know I wanted to avoid flashing the card. I thought you can only flash in windows how can you do it in Lion? The PNY is not working for me. I guess I have to flash it. The alternative is the BFG or even Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Thoughts?

Edit: I got the BFG card to work-no boot screens of course...only works on Mavericks and beyond-So how does one boot into recovery or use disk utility for repairing permissions?

Still curious about the Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5770 tho as I can get that dirt cheap.

Cheers

Last edited:

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
FYI, your HD5870 TDP is only rated at 188W, not 228W as you claimed, as indicated here and linked from this TDP Database. Also this link showed that the 5870 could draw 212W at maximum. I have no idea where you get the 228W number, but Apple would never put a card with a rated TDP of 228W in the MP when the limit is at 225W.

Oh ok, interesting. The stock Apple Mac Edition card was listed quite a lot as being 228W like here and here. I also remember reading that figure in other forums on MacRumors.

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Have asked this question on the Nvidia forum with no real reply.

Just got a Gainward GTX 770 4GB and it's working great under boot camp Win 7 but not so good under OS X 10.10.2.

Luxmark Sala score for Win 7 is around 1200 but under OS X it's about half that at around 700.

I've tried with cuda drivers installed and Nvidia web drivers, but no difference.
Also the Heaven benchmark confirms the poor performance I'm getting under OS X.

So how can I fix this to get the same performance I'm seeing under boot camp?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Diamond Radeon HD 7750 video card, 1GB, DDR5

Does anyone have experience with this card? i know it doesn't require a power cable so I'm concerned about the wattage from the pci slot as well as it's compatibility.

cheers

EDIT: The card works from ML to Yosemite. I used Sfott to install :)

Thanks

Last edited:

costasppc

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
hello,

Sorry if I chime in late. Is there a way to flash Nvidia cards for x64 EFI MacPro (3.1, 4.1, cards 630, 640, 730, 740) to get EFI boot screens?

best regards

Kos

gokhantonyukuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
Hello. I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 recently updated to 10.9.5 thanks to Tiamo & Oemden. I've installed Nvidia GTX 660(Zotac). It worked out of the box. But I can only use my HDMI output on my Philips Monitor, my DVI output doesn't work. Also I'm sure Graphic card's all outputs working cause I was using it on my PC without any problem. Any help would be great.

Note: I didn't try Nvidia/Cuda drivers yet.

Reactions: ilegal31

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hello. I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 recently updated to 10.9.5 thanks to Tiamo & Oemden. I've installed Nvidia GTX 660(Zotac). It worked out of the box. But I can only use my HDMI output on my Philips Monitor, my DVI output doesn't work. Also I'm sure Graphic card's all outputs working cause I was using it on my PC without any problem. Any help would be great.

Note: I didn't try Nvidia/Cuda drivers yet.

CUDA won't make a difference but using the Nvidia drivers might help.

Reactions: ilegal31

hackedmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
New to the forum and just finally got around to pike moding my 1,1 mac pro and I was running 10.9 but now running Yosemite. mac pro 1,1 8gb ram, duel 3Ghz (duel core) xeons, ATI 1900 card currently. I'm a bit on a budget but is there a good card for $150 price range that shows the boot image. I'd like a fully compatible card. I've seen the modified ATI 5770 and Mac 5870. I'm not interested in the modified versions and the 5770 and 5870 and the official ones seam pricey. Is there a good Nvidia card Preferably 1GB ram or higher that is fully supported for $150 or less? or is my best best the $250 ATI 5870?

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
You can get a used PC 5770/5870 (should be around $40-$70 on ebay) on flash them yourself.
Of course you could pay $250 for a official 5870, but it will give you no advantage at all.

If you really want to go for official cards, the 5770/5870 Upgrade Kits are the "cheapest" options, followed by HD 7950. But as said before, there's no point to go for them.
All relevant Nvidia cards won't show boot screens on a MP1,1 so they're out.

hackedmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
The official apple one has the duel mini display output ports. That's why I'm more interested in the official one then the PC ones. There is also a larger cooling vent out the back of the official mac cards because the second DVI port isn't taking up room there. As much as I'm hacking it I want to retain as much official supported hardware in the device as possible. I also have a dell precision 490 that I've turned into a Hackintosh and I've found it to be so much easier to use 100% supported hardware in the long run.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
2 mDP ports are only an advantage in the rare case that you want to drive two Apple Cinema Displays. And even if you want to do this, other GPU options (e.g. HD 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970, some R9s) will do the same for less money.
I'm pretty sure that a good PC aftermarket card (e.g. Sapphire Vapor-X) will have better cooling than the genuine reference cards.

I don't think that the comparison with a hacked Dell box is fair. PC GPUs are technically 100% the same chips, just with another firmware on their EEPROM. I can totally understand when someone says he isn't interested reading stuff about flashing, choosing the right card, buying Apple specific cables, building their custom ROM and finally doing the flash, but on the other hand you state that you're on a budget, so I wouldn't hesitate a second to choose a PC card over a genuine Apple one.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
The official apple one has the duel mini display output ports. That's why I'm more interested in the official one then the PC ones. There is also a larger cooling vent out the back of the official mac cards because the second DVI port isn't taking up room there. As much as I'm hacking it I want to retain as much official supported hardware in the device as possible. I also have a dell precision 490 that I've turned into a Hackintosh and I've found it to be so much easier to use 100% supported hardware in the long run.

I ran PC cards in my Mac Pro 1,1 for years because they were far cheaper than the official Mac cards and never had a problem with them. I used a XFX GTX 285 and a MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III OC. Saying that you are "hacking" to use a PC card in a Mac Pro isn't true at all. Starting with OS X 10.7 Apple themselves started supporting Nvidia PC cards OOB with the built-in drivers, the only thing missing is the boot screen.

-slim.jim

saint322

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
OKC, OK
I browsed through all (currently 10) pages of this thread and wanted to ask the class what their favorite sites were to compare specs on two different video cards. I currently am running an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 with 1024 MB and am considering making the jump to an EVGA GeForce 750Ti SC with 2048 MB which I can get new for ~120 if I watch for a sale.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I browsed through all (currently 10) pages of this thread and wanted to ask the class what their favorite sites were to compare specs on two different video cards. I currently am running an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 with 1024 MB and am considering making the jump to an EVGA GeForce 750Ti SC with 2048 MB which I can get new for ~120 if I watch for a sale.

I don't necessarily look at specs all the time but here is a great chart showing how cards rank: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

If looking for benchmarks then generally Anandtech or Toms Hardware.

saint322

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks Hennesie! Upon further review it seems as though I would be better off making the jump to a GeForce GTX 960 which sells new for around $200 and I haven't browsed eBay as yet. I expect one more bump on the graphics card would is the only remaining upgrade to make aside from a larger SSD. I have 10GB of RAM already and don't expect I come close to need more and I'm not one to leave apps open I'm not running and I utilize this tower mostly for surfing and streaming music/videos to my Apple TV.

I welcome any thoughts to the contrary, however.

-Saint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.