Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lusky

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I took my iPhone 6 to my local Apple store today because the lower right corner was 'clicking' and a touch loose as it had been since I got it.

In truth it didn't overly bother me but I was concerned dust or moisture might get in.

Anyway, straight away the genius knew the problem and arranged for the screen to be replaced (90 mins) I asked if it was a common problem and he said it was a decent percentage, higher than most issues.

As I said the speed he recognised it and his comments suggest it's definitely an issue the stores are more than familiar with it. wether or not Apple themselves are aware of it or not, who knows.

Thought I'd share this incase anyone else was having a similar problem.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Thanks for the heads up. I had my 6 swapped last week for a separate issue. When my Griffin case comes and I switch my 6 to it from the Supcase, i'll check my screen for clicking. Glad you got yours fixed no problem!

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I had the clicking screen thing on two 5s phones, six plus and two sixes. You press down on a particular part of screen and it clicks as if the glue wasn't adhering.

My latest 6 is click free after they replaced the screen due to crescent cam issue.

So much for top shelf quality.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
completely over apple at this point. i have the 6 and 6 plus, my 6 plus doesn't click however the 6 clicks. I've had the device replace, yes REPLACED twice. i go to the  store yesterday with the SAME problem again, they opted to replace the screen instead. all fine and dandy right? NOPE. as soon as they hand me the phone i was able to press the bottom left and right corners and they begin to click. the genius bar rep blamed it on the fact that it the screen needed to be pushed into place.. ok fine.. so they push it into place.

i get home about an hour later and start messing around with it, click click click. i have found what i believe is the issue however. you can push it back into place but if you tweak the phone just ever so slightly the bottom of the screen lifts up and it begins to click again.

i was able to replicate this on 3 other iPhone 6 that friends have. seems its a manufacture issue with apple striving for the thiness. ill be ringing applecare today because I'm tired of going to the store.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My first 5s clicked, but it also had other major issues. The replacement was fine. My Verizon iPhone 6+ and sim free 6+ have also been issue free.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
My iPhone 5 did this. Was swapped by Apple without question.

This was close to initial release of the 5.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
My 5S did this, as well. The who helped me out didn't even ask questions - just set up the replacement. Must be more common than I had originally thought.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Seems like its an issue with many different models. Wonder if it has something to do with the clips for the screen?

Not sure. Whatever it is it obviously hasn't changed throughout iPhone models.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ugh, mine just started clicking sometimes when I press the top right part of the screen, so I searched for "iphone 6 screen click" and bamf, I find this thread.

Good to know the issue is recognized at least. Luckily it's not urgent, so I'm just going to wait until I have a couple hours to kill and take the phone in then.

It's just a pain if they decide to replace the whole phone, to restore from backup and re-enroll in Apple Pay. Bank of America requires that you call them now due to the recent fraud. :(

yzjustdatguy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Atlanta
I've had the same issue with my iPhone 6. I've had to take it to an apple store twice because of the clicking. I realized that the issue is due to warping. The screen slightly warps on the edges while in my pocket. I bought a harder case and my phone hasn't made a clicking noise yet

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Have the same issue. Doesn't really bother me because I don't put enough force in regular usage to hear or feel it. Only if I grip sometimes.

RedDamme

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
London
Yup, had to replace 2 (!) 6's and 1 5S which had these issues. They didn't bother with replacement of the screen however, straight up replaced all 3 phones.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
It's the glue. Mine did it when the phone was warm or sitting in sunlight at times. Combine this with the off center front camera on the 6 and its shutters on that device for me.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
I've had 3 phones that have had this issue, my 3rd one still has the issue just haven't gone back to the store for a swap. they swapped first 2 times then replaced the screen on my current phone. still doing it. i don't use a case so its extremely noticeable and annoying. i will be swapping the phone this week. oddly enough my 6 plus doesn't have this issue.

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I had two different handsets do that, and had the display replaced on each of them. 4 genius bar appointments for the same issue is ridiculous.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
My 5S did this, as well. The who helped me out didn't even ask questions - just set up the replacement. Must be more common than I had originally thought.

If you hang around in threads where people gather with iPhone problems, obviously you're going to think the faults are "common". No, you're talking of a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percentage of the ENTIRE iPhone customer base, and they're all in one place, discussing faults... so what would you expect?

Logic and reason... ahhhh.

Lol.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
If you hang around in threads where people gather with iPhone problems, obviously you're going to think the faults are "common". No, you're talking of a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percentage of the ENTIRE iPhone customer base, and they're all in one place, discussing faults... so what would you expect?

Logic and reason... ahhhh.

Lol.

I was actually referring to the (non) reaction from the genius, and not the forums. I've been hanging around here for 10 years, so I can assure you that I've figured out how complainers work.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I was actually referring to the (non) reaction from the genius, and not the forums. I've been hanging around here for 10 years, so I can assure you that I've figured out how complainers work.

It's the same principle at the Genius Bar, only amplified. Here, you MIGHT get people talking about how problem-free their iPhones are.

But I'm willing to wager that the amount of people who arrange Genius Bar appointments specifically to tell an Apple employee that their iPhone is trouble-free and working just fine, thank you, is pretty close to zero.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's the same principle at the Genius Bar, only amplified. Here, you MIGHT get people talking about how problem-free their iPhones are.

But I'm willing to wager that the amount of people who arrange Genius Bar appointments specifically to tell an Apple employee that their iPhone is trouble-free and working just fine, thank you, is pretty close to zero.

I think what I was initially trying to get at was that I somewhat expected the genius to look at my delaminating glass and be like, "wow, this is pretty crazy" rather than, "yep, I've seen this a lot."

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
Went to the apple store last night to get my iPhone 6 screen clicking noise fixed or replaced and all they did was "push the screen down back into the groves" (what i was told by apple store rep.) now my iPhone screen clicks even worse.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Maybe the clicking was the catalyst for creating the force touch and haptic feedback.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
My iPhone 6 clicked in the upper right corner so i took to the Apple Store. The genius told me the phone was bent slightly and replacing the screen wouldn't fix the issue and offered to replace the whole phone. So I get the replacement and go on my way only to discover the new one clicked in a different spot but just as bad as the original. Back to the Apple Store I went and a different genius swapped it out again. This one had no issues. Say what you want about quality since I got it replaced twice but in my mind it's all about how they deal with it and getting the phone replaced no questions asked is hard to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.