Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
My brother in law has a 2 year old iPad, the model just before the iPad Air. His wifi wouldn't work so tonight he took it to Apple and they told him the wifi card has gone bad. Since its out of warranty they said for $300 he can buy the same model or buy a new one at full price. Is there truly no fix? I've never seen a iPad wifi card fail, is this common

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My brother in law has a 2 year old iPad, the model just before the iPad Air. His wifi wouldn't work so tonight he took it to Apple and they told him the wifi card has gone bad. Since its out of warranty they said for $300 he can buy the same model or buy a new one at full price. Is there truly no fix? I've never seen a iPad wifi card fail, is this common

If the wifi card has failed it will show "No Wifi" instead of a wifi network name. If you have that, the wifi card is screwed.

If you don't have that, it could be any number of things. #1 - software. Try a DFU restore. #2 - antenna. The antenna wires could have popped off. It's not an easy fix, however, as the iPad is not very easy to open!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.