Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
I purchased two Sonnet Tempo SSD cards for my new (used) 2010 Mac Pro. I used CC Cloner to clone the boot drive from my 2012 Mac Mini running 10.8.5.

While the drive (and the other two SSDs) appear on the desktop, the MP stubbornly refuses to boot from it, choosing instead the hard drive that came with the machine, also 10.8.5.

I changed the boot drive in Preferences (as well as using the Option key during boot up and while the drive is highlighted, it isn't being selected. The dock has all the appearance of a new machine.

I can't sell my mini until I get this machine working and I have someone set up to buy next week.

Any suggestions?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Flash the card to update the firmware, regardless it is the revision B card (as it state on the box, and should be bootable), quite a few of these cards are still with the revision A firmware (which is not bootable). Simply flash the card, and most likely you are good to go.

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=461&expand=_a13&action=b733#b733

(Use the firmware updater 1.0, which date 29 Jan 2013. The newer one do nothing for the Mac Pro)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You might try a PRAM reset with the empty Tempo card installed in a slot ... that worked on the Tempo Pro when it stopped booting.

Good idea as above to be sure of latest firmware.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Two? and if you plug the SSD alone to native drive bay, it works?

People have reported trouble installing OS X when it is on the Sonnet Tempo.

Is this the Pro card?

Also, apply the 10.8.5 Combo Update once you do.

Why not use CCC from your good system?

Also, what GPU does it have? Try changing that to slot #2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.