Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Needless to say, I am rather excited. Just bought this MB Air listed here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251900867853?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (mods, not my ad, just an example)

Seems like a great deal, almost $100 off the store price. Also no tax with that, Free shipping too.

A couple weeks ago I sold my 2010 15" macbook pro to a good friend for $600 with the intention to add some cash and get the new macbook air.

I already have plans for a usb ssd to run Windows 8.1 to go on, but before that I want to get a nifty minidrive and a good 128gb micro sd card for it to handle my media.

Only question I have is would it be better to buy a thunderbolt ssd? Can bootcamp install onto that?

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Only question I have is would it be better to buy a thunderbolt ssd?
If you have to ask. No.

----------

Can bootcamp install onto that?
Theoreticaly, yes.
However, neither :apple: nor microsoft officially support running windows on a mac.
:apple: does of course supply bootcamp, but from my experience it doesn't always allow you to install windows. Some googleing will provide you with further information on this topic.

AWgamer

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Just got my second macbook air (had a 2010) and this is more impressive a machine. The screen is awesome compared to the old LCD.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Just got my second macbook air (had a 2010) and this is more impressive a machine. The screen is awesome compared to the old LCD.

Mine just came in the mail a little while ago. Got it all set up for the most part. God damn the SSD is a beast, it feels faster then my 6-core mac pro with its 10K rpm OS hdd. I really need to invest in some SSDs for my mac pro lol.

So many reviews of the screen on the 2015 macbook air are a negative but really, its not that bad at all.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
If you have to ask. No.

----------

Theoreticaly, yes.
However, neither :apple: nor microsoft officially support running windows on a mac.
:apple: does of course supply bootcamp, but from my experience it doesn't always allow you to install windows. Some googleing will provide you with further information on this topic.

Microsoft don't really officially support windows running on anything. It's an open operating system you can load onto anything compatible. How a Mac with the correct drivers differs from any other machine on this planet I don't really know.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Microsoft don't really officially support windows running on anything. It's an open operating system you can load onto anything compatible. How a Mac with the correct drivers differs from any other machine on this planet I don't really know.
I am merely sharing my (and other peoples) experiences with running windows on a mac: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bootcamp sounds simple, but often just doesn't work. Then not everybody has the time, patience and background knowledge to perform extensive troubleshooting and install windows on a mac manualy. When I was younger I enjoyed playing around like that. Now I just want things to work. :apple: provides this, windows doesn't.

When something is wrong with OSX, you can go to the :apple:store and get support. When there is something wrong with windows, you have to spend a lot of time to figure it out yourself.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I am merely sharing my (and other peoples) experiences with running windows on a mac: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bootcamp sounds simple, but often just doesn't work. Then not everybody has the time, patience and background knowledge to perform extensive troubleshooting and install windows on a mac manualy. When I was younger I enjoyed playing around like that. Now I just want things to work. :apple: provides this, windows doesn't.

When something is wrong with OSX, you can go to the :apple:store and get support. When there is something wrong with windows, you have to spend a lot of time to figure it out yourself.

The whole Apple experience is easier I agree, but I don't think it's terribly involving to get windows running through bootcamp, Apple make all the required drivers readily available. There are lots of youtube videos showing you how easy it is.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The whole Apple experience is easier I agree, but I don't think it's terribly involving to get windows running through bootcamp, Apple make all the required drivers readily available. There are lots of youtube videos showing you how easy it is.
Bootcamp doesn't always work like that.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Mine just came in the mail a little while ago. Got it all set up for the most part. God damn the SSD is a beast, it feels faster then my 6-core mac pro with its 10K rpm OS hdd. I really need to invest in some SSDs for my mac pro lol.

So many reviews of the screen on the 2015 macbook air are a negative but really, its not that bad at all.

SSDs have random read/writes that are at least 20x faster than even the fastest RPM mechanical HDD.

Bclawson

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014

Completely agree about the screen. That was the only thing I was worried about when I purchased mine online but I actually think it is incredible. And the battery life is insane!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
SSDs have random read/writes that are at least 20x faster than even the fastest RPM mechanical HDD.
For real life performance those w/r times are irrelevant. Iops is what makes the difference and they are 1000x times faster on ssds.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Got a Speck clear case for it, and I got my 2nd bottom cover in the mail.

I bought a secondary bottom cover to modify it for improved cooling. I did this same thing to my Mid 2010 15" Macbook pro's fan outlets and it dropped the maximum temps when playing something like Guild Wars 2 by 7-8*C

I can always put the OEM unmodified cover back on if I need to for service or repairs//whatever.

Also attached below is a photo of my SSD's benchmark results. :)

Next up is a Nifty Minidrive and a 64gb Class 10 UHS3 micro SD card.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0289-1.JPG
    IMG_0289-1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.