Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Conquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
I bought an iPhone 4 when it first came out. Before the year was over the home button went bad. I foolishly took it to an unauthorized place to have it changed and they broke the phone.

I sold it and bought the 4s. I used that for 2 years and I wa sick of waiting for a bigger phone from apple. I was doing everything on my phone.

So gave it to my wife and bought an Android phone.

I had it for almost a year and a half, but a few months ago I got an iPad Air 2. After my Macbook was stolen.

I love the iPad Air 2. It has replaced my laptop for pretty much everything.

So now I sat there with this huge plastic phone in my pocket that went unused most of the time. For several months I've grown sick of the phone. The letters on the back started falling off. The screen started coming off from the plastic frame.

So today I had a decision to make. And so I made it.

None of the stores that bought used phones wanted my LG phone. They all laughed. It was a pretty expensive phone too. They ended up giving me $100 bucks.

So I went in and got myself a 5s.

The 5s is the last small phone that is worth buying. Everything else is total crap. 4GB cheap crap.

The novelty of widgets and giant screens wore off and I'm glad to be back.

Here in Thailand they're very hard to find. Nobody has a 5s. I finally found one. I looked up the serial. It was manufactured 2 months ago. Came with 8.1.2. And with 8.1.2 it will stay for as long as I own it.

And the 4s, my wife still has it. Nothing has broken. I bought the 5s from the same guy.

And the circle of life is complete.

I really hope Apple comes back with a smaller iPhone. Everywhere here they're sold out.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Welcome back.

I'm with you with the novelty wearing off. There are a few things I miss about Android, especially the geek in me. However the core functions and integration with other Apple devices is more important to me.

I hate to say it, but sometimes I hate options/choices. I'd actually rather be force fed a certain way of doing something then given a 100 options. I spent WAY too much of my life customizing Android to only change it all around a couple days later.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I am still rocking back and forth. Have both HTC M8 and 6+, and switching phone at least once a week. There are unique features from each platform that I can't yet give up one and live solely on the other. 1st world problem I guess.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Great and welcome back! But why stay on 8.1.2 when you don't have to jailbreak? Why don't you upgrade to 8.3?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Glad it works for you but I could never go back to something that small and like you I have the G2. If anything I might get the 6+ but I have a really hard time reading the thin fonts on iOS and require the font settings of Android. I also have an iPad mini 2 but am trying out a Tab S right now. I miss certain features of iOS but will have to live without them.

Conquest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Great and welcome back! But why stay on 8.1.2 when you don't have to jailbreak? Why don't you upgrade to 8.3?

No way. It works perfectly just like this. Same as my iPad.

I had a huge dilemma with the iPad. Came with 8.1 but it had a known issue with the iPad booting to the apple logo when it crashed. It happened enough that I researched for a couple of weeks and decided on 8.1.3 and that fixed the issue. And it didn't create new ones. It is perfect now. I love my iPad. I will never updated it.

Unless the apps themselves force me to update the device I will not. I'm not an iPhone newbie. I know better.

----------

Glad it works for you but I could never go back to something that small and like you I have the G2. If anything I might get the 6+ but I have a really hard time reading the thin fonts on iOS and require the font settings of Android. I also have an iPad mini 2 but am trying out a Tab S right now. I miss certain features of iOS but will have to live without them.

I sit back with the Air 2 and that 5.2" brick was staring at me. Then I have to go out and I have to wrestle that enormous plastic thing in my pants. Then if I go out to eat I have to take it out and put it on a table to be comfortable.

I just had enough of giant phones. It was fine when I did everything on the phone, but what works for me is an air 2 and a companion small device. And the 5s is just perfect.

I'm not quite sure where the giant phone craze will end, but I think it may do just that. End.

I think in the future we will have smaller devices everywhere that do specific things well instead of carrying a giant screen in a pocket.

The Watch is part of that future. Sort of a useless toy now but I think that's where the industry is going.

----------

I am still rocking back and forth. Have both HTC M8 and 6+, and switching phone at least once a week. There are unique features from each platform that I can't yet give up one and live solely on the other. 1st world problem I guess.

The only thing I will miss is easily share between apps. See a picture on Facebook. Hit Share and a list of all my apps come up.

Other than that, meh. They can keep it.

I won't miss Google draining my phone with their updates.

It's all the same. Browse. Email. Facebook. Blah blah.

The only piece of tech I can say I love is that damn Air 2. That's the best money I ever spent.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
iOS 8.3 runs a lot smoother than the previous versions of iOS 8. My 6 Plus spent a few months being practically unusable for certain tasks until it came out.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
iOS 8.3 runs a lot smoother than the previous versions of iOS 8. My 6 Plus spent a few months being practically unusable for certain tasks until it came out.

That's encouraging. Though at this point we are all prepared for nasty iOS releases, and we are about to go back to square one with iOS9.

I hope iOS9 is 90% refinement rather than half baked features that wreck the user experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.