Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabigkahuna

Suspended
Aug 3, 2010
Oahu
From my understanding the watch measures your heart rate every 10 minutes when not exercising, once the Watch recognises you're exercising it will measure every 60 seconds.

Thanks for the info. But it also makes three different versions I've seen! I hope someplace there is an official description - like in a manual! :)

dabigkahuna

Suspended
Aug 3, 2010
Oahu
I know a lot of the criticism from Android fans has nothing to do with the actual pros and cons of the watch but rather just any excuse to attack.

Nevertheless, I thought I might point out some things about this "ease of use" / need classes or manual stuff.

I submit that the only thing that would satisfy the critics would be if the Apple watch read your mind. This is because it is impossible to create a watch with any real power over a standard watch without having to tell people how to use it to some extent.

Heck, take an ordinary watch and pretend you never saw one before. Would you automatically know that you need to turn the crown to wind it? Would you automatically know you pull it part way out to change the time? We know that now, because at some point we were shown those things, but if it was a brand new product, some would never guess. Yet those watches are easy to use once you do know.

Likewise with the Apple Watch. While trial and error may lead to lots of discoveries, without reading something or asking someone, how many would naturally think of double clicking the button? They would probably do a normal press, but many would not double click. Or the digital crown. Without some info, how many would know about pressing it once or twice? They'd probably stumble across some capabilities by accident by turning it, but maybe not the pressing part.

Some, with knowledge of phones may think of trying various swipes, but how many would come across the force click?

Thing is this, at least with new product concepts. Something can be really easy to do, yet require some help to find all it can do. This becomes less of an issue with similar products in the future - just as the basic concept of the first iphone is copied by Apple and other companies so we know to at least try things we never would have thought of with the first one.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
They do workshops for all of their products. Your dislike of the Apple Watch must've gotten the better of you before you thought that through.

I am not a watch fan, but learning how to use it seems pretty simple--its
about 5 things to remember. People complain about windows 8 and that is
dead simple

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am not a watch fan, but learning how to use it seems pretty simple--its
about 5 things to remember. People complain about windows 8 and that is
dead simple

But there are many more things beyond that. Heck even people on these types of boars discover various tips and tricks they didn't know about to this day when it comes to something very well known by pretty much everyone now like an iPhone.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
From my understanding the watch measures your heart rate every 10 minutes when not exercising, once the Watch recognises you're exercising it will measure every 60 seconds.

Is there any proof for this because this seems extremely improbable? A measurement every 60 while exercising is basically useless and would be far far below the sample rates that others use (which are typically more or less than a second).

dabigkahuna

Suspended
Aug 3, 2010
Oahu
Is there any proof for this because this seems extremely improbable? A measurement every 60 while exercising is basically useless and would be far far below the sample rates that others use (which are typically more or less than a second).

I'm still searching for concrete info and found some. At:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

it says "Normal" checking is every 10 minutes. Unfortunately, it didn't say anything about when doing an exercise activity - and that one is most critical to me, though I wish it checked more than every 10 minutes normally.

I also found this, but it isn't direct from Apple (quora.com):

"Active tracking is constant, tracking every pulse."

That would be good. Of course, there would be the question of how such data is displayed for review. If it only shows the data at minute intervals, you can miss spikes.

So, one question with an official answer and another which depends on whether the source got it right or not.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Still atacking the person, no problem.

I get back to you. A "manual needed" means that you don know how to operate something without reading a manual. You don't need a manual for the iPhone 2G, you do need a manual for the Apple Watch. Have you use that thing yet? Its atrocious by Apple standards.

Well, it is you that set the tone for this exchange and maybe you should be prepared to deal with the responses if you post nonsense. There is not an electronic product on this planet that comes without a manual, and that includes all Apple products.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still atacking the person, no problem.

I get back to you. A "manual needed" means that you don know how to operate something without reading a manual. You don't need a manual for the iPhone 2G, you do need a manual for the Apple Watch. Have you use that thing yet? Its atrocious by Apple standards.
A manual exists for the iPhone as well, just as it does for the Apple Watch. So that means it says something different about the iPhone as well then by that logic.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
A manual exists for the iPhone as well, just as it does for the Apple Watch. So that means it says something different about the iPhone as well then by that logic.

I will wait for regular users's review of the Watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.