Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hungryone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
crucial and owc list the same ram for '12 and '13 model iMacs apple has 2 different numbers -any thoughts? btw i am new to macs

Tobamory

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
I mixed Crucial with retina apples 8gb and had nothing but crash after crash

be careful, only when I used pure crucial did it all work ok.....Mix them and memtest fails all the time...

I had 3 batches of memory from crucial all the same...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Unlike the previous poster I have 16gb of Crucial and 8gb of Apple shipped with RAM and haven't had a single issue. Obviously milage will vary but it seems from my experience reading on this forum adding Crucial in combination with what its shipped with is rarely a problem.

Tobamory

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
Just run the base diags when installed if it fails get it removed if it passes your ok...

Every time I had issues the boot diags also failed. I also used the me test app and that also found errors when they were mixed, on there own either batch was fine, just mixing was problematic...

You will prob be ok, but if you get any kernel panics this is your answer.....crucial are aware of it also..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.